Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibnza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Texas
Just switching from a PC to Mac and not looking back too much. While I can run some PC applications on the WinXP side, I prefer to run as much as possible on the Mac side. That said, I have been using Photoshop for (among other things) resizing an image by simply restricting its pixel diminsions, thus reducing its file size. I can also use the same edit area to get the image down to any specific final print size.

I'm told this type of editing isn't possible using iPhoto or Aperture. Can this be done using Photoshop Elements?

Thanks. Trying to learn before wasting $100.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Preview can resize images as well, and it's built in.

Pixelmator does many of the same things as PS and PSE, but it is cheaper than both.

ibnza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Texas
Pixelmator does many of the same things as PS and PSE, but it is cheaper than both.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded this program. At first blush, it looks like it will accomplish what I need. Thanks for the lead.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just switching from a PC to Mac and not looking back too much. While I can run some PC applications on the WinXP side, I prefer to run as much as possible on the Mac side. That said, I have been using Photoshop for (among other things) resizing an image by simply restricting its pixel diminsions, thus reducing its file size. I can also use the same edit area to get the image down to any specific final print size.

I'm told this type of editing isn't possible using iPhoto or Aperture. Can this be done using Photoshop Elements?

Thanks. Trying to learn before wasting $100.

Yes, Both iPhoto and Aperture cab "export" files with reduced size. iPhoto is free with every Mac. Use that. Just a few minutes ago I re-sized an image (down to 640 pixels wide from 3,000) for use on eBay in Aperture.

Your Adobe Photoshop license can be moved from the PC to the Mac for a nominal fee. Call Adobe custoer service to transfer it.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
If you just need to resize, there's a way to do it with Automator...OS X (Preview, actually) has built-in functions to resize images and you can plug that into Automator and make a resize method available when you right-click on an image file.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I will add that one of the best application for sizing photos is Graphic Converter. I use PSE6, but GC is a lot more easy to use for sizing images.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Most of the time I do just level adjustments and resizing. I have found myself using Gimp less these days and just using iPhoto. After I edit images I simply drag copies to a folder for uploading to a local merchant (big chain store) who uses a Fuji Frontier to print my photos. Surprisingly the prints are very close to my monitor.

I don't do any complex editing in Photoshop anymore. CS1 is the last Photoshop I have. Gimp is even more than I need these days. Yeah, it must sound pretty pathetic to some people but my simplistic work flow is a result of the way my style has developed; For ME, I have drawn a line where adjustments turn into into graphic design and I try not to cross that line. That's part of MY style. It is simple and, surprisingly, iPhoto fits my needs at the moment.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I will add that one of the best application for sizing photos is Graphic Converter. I use PSE6, but GC is a lot more easy to use for sizing images.

Another vote for GraphicConverter. If you're looking for a lot of control over the final image, you can't really go wrong with GC.

Attachments

• GC Options.png
    GC Options.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 62

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Another vote for GraphicConverter. If you're looking for a lot of control over the final image, you can't really go wrong with GC.
I'll take another look at GraphicConvertor. I have a license from ages ago. I tried it out but it didn't fit my workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.