Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J3ffry

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Hi guys,

Proud MBPr owner since mid 2012! Love everything about the machine.
But, since i'm OCD (no really, meds and all) the exchanges of screens till finding a good one was a real **** experience when I first got it. Ended up with a SJA2 two years a go, which didn't suffer from anything (no IR/bleed/unevenness). Great screen!

But after two years of hardcore college/djing usage, there were a lot of tiny dots (aka the exploding pixels). With my Apple Care ending this week, I thought f*ck it, let's opt for a new screen one more time. Thing I was most scared of would be backlight bleed or uneven tint because it annoys me and I didn't want to go play roulette / having uncomfortable discussions with geniuses again.

But these are fortunately non-existent, good screen. So, perfectly happy for a few days, already could see myself letting my good friend AppleCare expire peacefully. However, with the ghosting problems from 2012 still somewhere on the back of my mind, I went to give it a test. Like you've guessed, some IR showed up.

My question is if anyone can tell me what the chances are this doesn't develop any further, like all the people used to say back then. Because otherwise the screen is great and you only see it with the checkerboard test and then only sometimes. I've read a lot about the issue but all the information is still a little bit inconclusive about the situation today and especially regarding the revised SJA2 screen. You'd advise I just enjoy it, or should I try to push the geniuses one (or a few) time(s) more before the three months are over?

Greets,
Jeffrey

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Just enjoy it if it's fine in normal use why look for problems.

Will it get worse? No way to tell.

Will you get a better one if you get it fixed again?? No way to know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.