Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I updated to 14.2 yesterday, and after a few hours I noticed that there were 2 processes that seem stuck: IMDPersistenceAgent and imagent

The former is using some 8-10% CPU while the latter constantly restarts after a short while, goes up to 3-4% and repeats. I've been searching around, and they seem related to message and address book syncing, as well as checking for incoming FaceTime calls. I've checked the Messages app, and the sync button is indeed greyed out and won't return...

When I check the console(Analytics Data), I see "com.apple.AddressBook.accounts.summary" being the source for spamming a lot of entries related to just message and address book syncing. A few of the entries also have the mentioned processes as source. But when I look closer, before 14.2 it sent "Address Book event completed. Changes: 0 (0/0/0)." every other hour, and now after 14.2 it hasn't once. Just seems to get stuck at something I can't see which is probably causing the processes to go haywire...

I've rebooted 3 times (including for the update) since yesterday, and it won't stop. Has anyone else seen this since the update and/or know how to solve it?

Last edited:

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Been running for almost 30 hours non-stop now, definitely not going away by itself... It started printing "Address Book event completed." now which makes it even less logical as to why it won't stop.

Reported it to Apple through the feedback form, but I suppose this isn't very widespread then?

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Been running for almost 30 hours non-stop now, definitely not going away by itself... It started printing "Address Book event completed." now which makes it even less logical as to why it won't stop.

Reported it to Apple through the feedback form, but I suppose this isn't very widespread then?
I'm also seeing it. I don't know where you're seeing "Address Book event completed", but I have lots of messages in Console showing errors and faults logged by imagent. I'm able to see that cfprefsd is rejecting attempts by imagent to read ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.CloudKit.plist due to sandboxing; this might be the root cause of all the other trouble being logged.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
I'm also seeing it. I don't know where you're seeing "Address Book event completed", but I have lots of messages in Console showing errors and faults logged by imagent. I'm able to see that cfprefsd is rejecting attempts by imagent to read ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.CloudKit.plist due to sandboxing; this might be the root cause of all the other trouble being logged.
Glad I'm note alone, was driving me crazy. I see "Address Book event completed. Changes: 0 (0/0/0)." right in the "Mac Analytics Data" pane in the console. Where do you see the part with cfprefsd? Now I'm seeing almost nothing but "mediaanalysisd" spamming the console.

It seemed like after 4 days it finally died down 40 minutes ago. Then I opened messages and tried syncing, and now it's imagent taking up 8-10% CPU... IMDPersistenceAgent isn't back though? EDIT: After 5-10 min it also died down and now my Mac is finally back to idle! I can't see anything related to these in the console anymore even after forcing another sync.

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Looks like mine might have finally died down too, and saw the same thing where asking Messages to sync caused some activity again for a few minutes. Next up... try rebooting.

ThatSomeone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here, where else?
Looks like mine might have finally died down too, and saw the same thing where asking Messages to sync caused some activity again for a few minutes. Next up... try rebooting.
Seems to be gone for me too, hasn't appeared again since.

But I've noticed that mine seems to be running more stuff than usual after 14.2? Every evening it starts some sort of process that chugs for over an hour until the moment I unlock my Mac. And when I check the iStat history graph over CPU usage I see that it's running something for that time. And the CPU temp is a bit higher upon unlocking than before 14.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.