Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacktop10197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
I tried an Apple Watch 3 and I couldn't get service when my phone was not with me. I am looking for a smart watch that I can respond to iMessages and other text messages without needing my phone in range. Do I have any options besides the Apple Watch (which didn't work for me anyways)?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I tried an Apple Watch 3 and I couldn't get service when my phone was not with me. I am looking for a smart watch that I can respond to iMessages and other text messages without needing my phone in range. Do I have any options besides the Apple Watch (which didn't work for me anyways)?

You need to have the LTE capable model of the Series 3 Apple Watch AND have it added to your iPhone's mobile plan to have access to data when either out of range of the iPhone's bluetooth connection or off of a wifi network. Additionally, the Apple Watch's LTE connectivity options are limited to specific carriers in the region where the watch was purchased, i.e. LTE capable Apple Watches purchased in the US will only be able to be used on a number of US mobile carriers.

Make sure you've met all of these conditions before writing off the Apple Watch's stand alone capabilities.

blacktop10197

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Yes. All those conditions were met. So, my question again, are there any non Apple watches that work with iMessage?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Although wearOS can do a lot nowadays and even Google Pay is working with iOS, didn't apple still have restrictions how much other smartwatches actually can do with iOS - for example not allowed to send messages through iMessage? I think there are no other watches until apple allows it happen.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011

Only Apple Watch supports iMessage, no others. Sounds like you just need to figure out your configuration issue, it works wonderfully for me, even when my iPhone is miles away.

Reactions: co.ag.2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.