Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimKirkwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Anyone else find it very annoying to have to delete threads on every Apple device you own, one by one....

Every text from co workers, verification codes, weather alerts, bank messages, on and on...

Having to delete these from iPhone, Macbook Pro, Apple Watch, iPad mini... is frustrating.

I wish Apple would implement a switch that I could say "Remove on All" for iMessage.

Deleting them on the Apple Watch and Macbook are the two that are the slowest due to multi clicks required.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anyone else find it very annoying to have to delete threads on every Apple device you own, one by one....

Every text from co workers, verification codes, weather alerts, bank messages, on and on...

Having to delete these from iPhone, Macbook Pro, Apple Watch, iPad mini... is frustrating.

I wish Apple would implement a switch that I could say "Remove on All" for iMessage.

Deleting them on the Apple Watch and Macbook are the two that are the slowest due to multi clicks required.

I completely agree. Syncing between devices in this regard should be addressed.

MrBukey

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Yup, a big bugbear of mine. It should be like mail - remove from one, removes from all.

The difference is I think because of how SMS vs e-mail evolved. SMS is a "send message to this endpoint" and is now "send message to this endpoint and copy to x, y and z devices". Whereas e-mail is "send message to this mailbox and let devices a, x, y and z access the mailbox".

With iMessage it's probably easy to handle. With normal SMS messages it might be more difficult as there's a different inherent technology (and international standard) involved. But you wouldn't want to make "lifecycle" actions/workflows different for an iMessage vs SMS because that would become a support nightmare from a perspective of a user that doesn't understand the difference between two types of text message.

I hope Apple can figure out a way to sort it though. It would make life much easier in keeping messages clean!

Reactions: willmtaylor

TimKirkwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
The difference is I think because of how SMS vs e-mail evolved. SMS is a "send message to this endpoint" and is now "send message to this endpoint and copy to x, y and z devices". Whereas e-mail is "send message to this mailbox and let devices a, x, y and z access the mailbox".

With iMessage it's probably easy to handle. With normal SMS messages it might be more difficult as there's a different inherent technology (and international standard) involved. But you wouldn't want to make "lifecycle" actions/workflows different for an iMessage vs SMS because that would become a support nightmare from a perspective of a user that doesn't understand the difference between two types of text message.

This is probably one of the best theories I have heard. Text being like 'pop mail' compared to iMessage being imap. But, once that regular text is in the iOS environment, it seems like they could treat it as an iMessage and at least have it delete across devices. Maybe someday....
[doublepost=1475508219][/doublepost]Deleting from the Apple watch is the most painful. Swipe, trash can, then click trash, and half the time, you have to click the word trash a couple times to get it to take. MacbookPro is a 2 click process also.

The watch would be better if I could specify, "Keep 5 latest threads" and let the older ones expire.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I'm super annoyed actually.

- The workflow to delete messages on the Apple watch are swipe > delete > wait 1 second > click delete again. Takes so long to delete messages I gave up on it.
- The workflow to delete messages on MacOs is the same thing. no delete all function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.