Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
This just started 15 minutes ago. I have an iMessage convo going with 1 person. Now on my lock screen, the message notification now shows message from their number (no longer their name), picture and it says to me and them (their name)... as if it's now a group?? The sender and I are the only people talking.

It's showing it as the sender is not in my contacts (but is) and the sender is also the receiver that shows up with their name correctly and i'm in a group with both of them??? wtf? Nothing has changed. Literally nothing.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
This just started 15 minutes ago. I have an iMessage convo going with 1 person. Now on my lock screen, the message notification now shows message from their number (no longer their name), picture and it says to me and them (their name)... as if it's now a group?? The sender and I are the only people talking.

It's showing it as the sender is not in my contacts (but is) and the sender is also the receiver that shows up with their name correctly and i'm in a group with both of them??? wtf? Nothing has changed. Literally nothing.
Yep I got all that occurring also after I did an iPhone to iPhone transfer like a group chat now in addition to their usual two chat. it also shrunk my iMessages cloud storage used from 24GB to 900MB. Most my pics are also gone.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Yep I got all that occurring also after I did an iPhone to iPhone transfer like a group chat now in addition to their usual two chat. it also shrunk my iMessages cloud storage used from 24GB to 900MB. Most my pics are also gone.
Backed up my iPhone to PC, restored it (wipes and reinstalls the OS) and restored from iCloud backup. Issue has been resolved.

It seems a lot of this stemmed from phone to phone transfer via cable.

Reactions: Fred Zed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.