Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Is there any way to turn off optimization, a 30 minute clip is like 4 hours to import, and just comes up 'optimizing'

I see on 'File' dropdown 'analyze' and 'optimize' but they're not controllable when importing. Any help appreciated thank you

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
MBP 2011 Sierra, Mp4 files. Some are shot 20/30 years ago that needs to be uploaded to YouTube, but they're awful and have to be edited. They were transferred from VOB files to Mp4, not by me, and then sent to me to edit on iMovie.

Thanks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Anyone at all? 180MB and runtime of 25 minutes and over 3 hours just to import into iMovie. Is this the norm. Does it have to be 'optimizing', which I guess is what's taking the time, and there's no offer of not optimizing I assume?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Before importing into iMovie, you could try to re-save them as mp4 with Avidemux https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
Avidemux analyzes the file and fixes eventual errors that might stall iMovie.
Leave the “Video Output” and “Audio Output” to “Copy” and choose “Output format” – “MP4 Muxer” or “MP4v2 Muxer”

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Before importing into iMovie, you could try to re-save them as mp4 with Avidemux https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
Avidemux analyzes the file and fixes eventual errors that might stall iMovie.
Leave the “Video Output” and “Audio Output” to “Copy” and choose “Output format” – “MP4 Muxer” or “MP4v2 Muxer”
Thanks, I'll have a look. The other thing it does is it lightens the picture, mostly too much, but in the project window with the small film clips, it looks OK, but in the viewer, and when exported, way too light.
I wonder if this is done in the optimizing?

For the record, I've found something you can untick, for optimising, BUT it still optimizes

Last edited:

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
Peter Franks you talk about iMovie. In your thread could you tell people what VERSION OF iMOVIE you are using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.