Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I'm using iMovie 10 on a Mac running macOS Catalina with the latest version of both the application and the OS.

I haven't used iMovie in many years and it shows. I'm trying to use it for a very simple set of tasks: I want to trim the first and last few seconds from a long webinar recording, and then add a black box over a portion of the video (a panelist accidentally enabled their webcam for a minute, so I'd rather just black it out).

I have done all of this in iMovie, but when I go to File --> Share --> File (why don't they call it Export?!) and enter the video quality settings, after completing the video that I open has none of the changes; it still has the first and last few seconds that I thought I cut out, and it doesn't show the black box in that custom portion of the video even though that's what it shows when previewing the video in iMovie.

Just to confirm, I'm positive I'm looking at the exported video and not the original source video. Thanks for your help!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
iMovie and FCPx both export the content of the timeline into the output. Are you sure you are trimming and removing the intended parts from the timeline? I honestly don't know how it would be able to export something that is not part of the timeline.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
iMovie and FCPx both export the content of the timeline into the output. Are you sure you are trimming and removing the intended parts from the timeline? I honestly don't know how it would be able to export something that is not part of the timeline.
I don’t think I did anything different except for change the resolution and it worked. So I exported again with the desired resolution (the settings from first time) and it also worked. Not sure why it didn’t work the first time but glad it worked!

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Just an update that I think what happened is I had the original video clip selected in the My Media section when I went to export the video file, so it just exported that file instead of the overall project video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.