Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BriGuyRN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
So I am in the process of converting all of my DVDs and Blu-ray‘s to digital files. One of my Blu-ray‘s, a television series, is proving a little harder to convert. Each disc contains three episodes. The three episodes rip on to 1 MP4 file. I would like to take that file and separate into three individual files, Each one containing one episode. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I am not very good with iMovie. Does anyone know the step-by-step instructions of how to accomplish this? Thanks in advance! PS I am using a brand new MacBook Pro with High Sierra, and the latest version of iMovie.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
It might be easier to do it with Quicktime. Open your mp4 in Quicktime and then go into the Edit menu and select "Trim...".

You'll get a yellow box at the bottom of the video window with Trim handles at either end:
Screen%20Shot%202018-06-09%20at%2021.27.39_zpslbsznbmr.png

Just click and drag right hand handle to select your first episode and then click on the Trim button on the right. Save that by either using the File Menu of clicking on the Red button to close the window. QT has to make the new movie so it could take some time.

Repeat, using the original video, for each episode.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Haven't used QT in awhile, but there also used to be a split clip edit tool. You set the slider to where you want the clips split and send it on its way. It can take a looong time to process.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
but there also used to be a split clip edit tool
There still is! Never new about that.

To the OP, that will be a lot quicker. Open the video in QT. Drag the slider to the end of Episode 1. Choose "Split Clip" in the Edit Menu. Click clip with the remaining episodes to highlight in. Press Delete to get rid of it, then save Episode 1.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
When I used to split clips awhile ago. I'd drag the slider to the end of the first segment and split, and save. QT would save two clips. I'd open the second clip and split it, and so on....

I've been using FCPX for awhile where its much easier to split and edit by creating a new project then select and place the portion of the original clip you want on the new project timeline and share/export the project. I dunno if iMovie has a similar function. Its been awhile since I've used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.