Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
I have a project in my iMovie - a 60 minute video of a wedding my wife took on her iPhone. Anyway I set it to music, etc and after when I try to move the finished project to a thumb drive in order to give it to the bride..It will copy have of it on the thumb drive then I get an error message that says it cannot complete it. I know I am doing something wrong..it is in mp4. May be it just does not like me. lol.

Should I try saving it in another format? Or just may be my thumb drive is bad.

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015 again not that has anything to do with this problem..I believe.
Thanks in advance. Be kind to this novice of iMovie.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I have a project in my iMovie - a 60 minute video of a wedding my wife took on her iPhone. Anyway I set it to music, etc and after when I try to move the finished project to a thumb drive in order to give it to the bride..It will copy have of it on the thumb drive then I get an error message that says it cannot complete it. I know I am doing something wrong..it is in mp4. May be it just does not like me. lol.

Should I try saving it in another format? Or just may be my thumb drive is bad.

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015 again not that has anything to do with this problem..I believe.
Thanks in advance. Be kind to this novice of iMovie.

If the file is greater than 4 GB and the thumb drive is formatted in FAT, then it will never work. FAT can't handle files over 4 GB.

If that's the case, then reformat the thumb drive to the EXFAT specification, and you'll be fine. Don't forget that formatting a drive destroys all information on it, so if you have data on that thumb drive, move it off first. Then format.

Reactions: baypharm

macworksgreat

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Rome, GA
If the file is greater than 4 GB and the thumb drive is formatted in FAT, then it will never work. FAT can't handle files over 4 GB.

If that's the case, then reformat the thumb drive to the EXFAT specification, and you'll be fine. Don't forget that formatting a drive destroys all information on it, so if you have data on that thumb drive, move it off first. Then format.
Thanks. I forgot all about that. I will try it..I had just bought the dumb drive (128 GB) from Amazon and I forgot about the reformatting. . I will follow your suggestion/recommendation . Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.