Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wreckd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Hi, I am unsure if this is the correct forum for this, sorry if it is.

My question/problem is this: I have an iBook G4 and a normal consumer level Canon Digital camera. When I connect the camera to the iBook through a USB cable, iPhoto opens and I add the pictures to iPhoto and obviously my iBook. I have just noticed that the file sizes of the pictures are extremely small. For instance I just uploaded 135 pictures which took up 120 MB in the camera, and the folder size was 6.6 MB.

When my wife uploads pictures from the same camera to her PC, the files take up a lot more room, about 8 times more. the pictures seem to be of the same quality, or at least as much as I can tell.

My question is: Does iPhoto or OS X just compress files real well, or am I doing something wrong in uploading my pictures. It just seems strange that there would be such a big difference between PC and Mac, and I would prefer the pictures remain the highest quality. It just seems strange that 120 megs can be compressed down to 6.

Thank you in advance.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
How were you checking the file sizes? Compare directly in iPhoto: click on a photo, hit Apple-I or Show Photo Info in the Photos menu, and see how big the pic itself actually is, then compare that to the pic on the camera. The 6 MP pictures I have appear to be coming out at different sizes, but all around 1.3-1.8 MB according to iPhoto.

jW

Wreckd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
How were you checking the file sizes? Compare directly in iPhoto: click on a photo, hit Apple-I or Show Photo Info in the Photos menu, and see how big the pic itself actually is, then compare that to the pic on the camera. The 6 MP pictures I have appear to be coming out at different sizes, but all around 1.3-1.8 MB according to iPhoto.

jW

From doing cmd-i on the folder and files.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Look at it within iPhoto. You MAY be looking at the thumbnail images (depending on what folder you are peeping into) which would be drastically smaller than the full sized images. Look on your system for a folder called originals.

Wreckd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks, the correct files were in the originals folder. I never knew about that. Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.