Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knocka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
I have just moved to Mac from Windows. All my photos are organized into folders and subfolders, by year and then event. I cannot decide whether to let Aperture manage all files (by allowing the files to be Moved to Aperture Library during import), or not. It seems to me to be simpler to let Aperture handle everything. But here is my main concern:

It appears that if I move all files into the Aperture library, I will not be able to go back if I ever stop using Aperture. I have experimented with some Test Folders, Subfolders and Photos. I can successfully Expert the Master JPG files back into a Folder, BUT, I cannot maintain the original folder structure that I have now. Thus, if I ever want to go back to my original folder structure, I would have to recreate it from scratch, a daunting task.

Is there a way to Expert from a Project and maintain the files inside the folders that are in the Project?

What is recommended?

Thanks.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
There are a few different issues in your post.

First, read up on referenced masters vs. managed masters. You can keep your folder/file structure with either type of master. With referenced, you just keep the masters in your folder/file structure, and then reference them. With managed, you (can) copy images from your camera into your folder/file structure first, and then import then into Aperture from their location on your hard drive. You could delete the managed masters at that point, and just leave them in your Aperture library. Or, you can keep the "originals" on your hard rive in the folder/file structure.

Next, yes, you do become wedded to whatever program you use, to some degree. In either Aperture or Lightroom, you can export your masters back to disk if you want, and them re-import them into the other program. But, what you lose is the edits (assuming you export the masters and not, say jpg's that include the edits).

This is my biggest fear with Aperture. I love it, but I wonder how long Apple will want to be in that business. It seems Adobe would be less likely to EOL its product. But, if that ever happens, I will just keep Aperture for the old stuff and switch to Lightroom for the new stuff.

Lots of good Aperture info here, and check out this link that Robbie Duncan posted yesterday in a different thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.