Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I just purchased Aperture 3 and am currently importing my iPhoto library into Aperture. I noticed that when importing it created an Aperture Library icon within my Pictures folder and is taking up hard drive space. Is it duplicating all of iPhoto library into the Aperture library? Does this mean once Aperture is finished importing I should delete my iPhoto library to free up hard drive space?

Thanks.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I just did the same process and yes, it is copying all of your photos. But what that also means is after it is done copying you can delete your iPhoto library, I would make a backup of it just incase but that's only if you want.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the reply. I am sure I will find I like using Aperture better than iPhoto. What have you found so far?
One more question, I have a mobile me gallery in iPhoto. Will it transfer those over to Aperture too?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I'm loving Aperture, it's a bit different than iPhoto but it's quite a bit more powerful. I'm not sure if MobileMe galleries will transfer over, I would imagine they would but then again Flickr uploads don't transfer over so who knows.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
So I have everything imported in from iPhoto and when I look at the metadata for my pictures it says the project path is: iPhoto Library > Events >. Does that mean the data is still within iPhoto and not Aperture?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
No, I believe that is the way they were imported into Aperture. If you look at the side bar you should see a folder iPhoto Library and then inside that Events. The easy way to check is to show the image in Finder and check the path of an imported image.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I just did a Time Machine backup with both the iPhoto Library and the Aperture Library and noticed that the back up only recognized changes of 1 gb. When I look at the Aperture library "get info" it shows 56 gb. Shouldn't Time machine back up the 56 gb of the Aperture library folder?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I just did a Time Machine backup with both the iPhoto Library and the Aperture Library and noticed that the back up only recognized changes of 1 gb. When I look at the Aperture library "get info" it shows 56 gb. Shouldn't Time machine back up the 56 gb of the Aperture library folder?

Maybe you had a previous backup and only 1GB changed. An easy way to check if your imported files are referenced is to change the name or move your iPhoto library and then launch Aperture. If the photos show up as missing then you need to import them and copy them into your Aperture library.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Time Machine serves as a database. It only backs up new stuff. If only 1 GB of the iPhoto Library was new, that's all it would copy for iPhoto. All that "missing" stuff is in TM held in it's previous "states" It would see Aperture as new and import the whole thing.

Edit: If you want an exact duplicate of your iPhoto Library in one place, drag it to the HD that serves as your TM backup. I did that with folders of edited pics I want to never lose. Your Time Machine backup is a folder on the HD you use. You can add folders if you want. The TM folder will grow until it is out of space. I think that's when your Mac explodes...

Dale

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Aren't the photos in aperture considered "new" though since the pictures are in a new program? I figured since aperture changes from ~500 kb to 55 gb time machine would have recognized that and backed it up.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I need to back out of this and learn from someone who has upgraded to Aperture and imported the iPhoto library. I'm guessing here and that's not helpful. The two libraries could be linked, I don't know.

Dale

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Don't delete your iPhoto library until you are 100% certain your masters were copied into Aperture! :D

When you imported your iPhoto images, did you notice the dropdown item "Store files"? If so, did you notice whether you'd selected "in their current location" or "in the Aperture library"? Cuz that will answer your question.

I use a referenced library, so my masters are in a separate folder. I'm not sure with a managed library (where the images are actually inside the Aperture library) if the "Show in Finder..." function works. IF it works, that would answer your question. Can anyone verify whether or not this works with a consolidated Aperture library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.