Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Hi all

I've been thinking of this for some time now but since I rarely shot with 2 cameras at a time up until recently I've 'forgotten' the problem.

But recently I've begun using 2 bodies when shooting events and I haven't really found a great work flow for importing/post processing the images.

Right now I import the pictures into one event folder with 2 subfolders - one for each camera to avoid files with the same file names in the same folder.. This works okay-ish but I would rather have all the pictures in one folder sorted after when the picture is captured.

I'm currently using Adobe Bridge but will probably move to Lightroom soon.

So can any of you very clever guys out there help me out? If you shoot with two cameras please help me out by posting your initial workflow :)

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Any camera I use has continuous file numbering. Unless I have really bad luck or shoot thousands and thousands of images at one event, the numbers don't overlap. The other option is to change the file labeling in the camera (or during import), so one camera is AMG_xxxx, the second is BMG_xxxx, etc.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Any camera I use has continuous file numbering. Unless I have really bad luck or shoot thousands and thousands of images at one event, the numbers don't overlap. The other option is to change the file labeling in the camera (or during import), so one camera is AMG_xxxx, the second is BMG_xxxx, etc.

Yeah but it does sometime happen that I shoot over 1000 pictures at an event.

But maybe the file labeling idea would be good. I'll try it out :)

^^^ That was my thought. It will seperate the cameras used in the same folder. Why is it necessary to know the camera used?

Dale

Not a necessity at all(at folder level) since that is saved in the exif data. I was just explaining how I currently import pictures from 2 cameras.

No other "dual-shooters" with tips to share? :)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I use canons software to import and rename the files. I keep the img number but append them with the body serial number and date (makes the filename long though). After this I import and keyword in lightroom, so the long name isn't a issue.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
I would go with a file rename on import. I use the date taken as a prefix and keep the actual camera file number on the end.

So, DCN0001.xxx becomes 2009-12-04_12-21-04_DCN0001.xxx

The chances of taking two pictures with two cameras within the same second and having the same file number are pretty small I think - assuming you keep the internal clocks set accurately.

All the best
Andrew W.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I use Photo Mechanic to "Ingest" and sort my photos. All my cameras have unique filenames so I don't have to worry about overlapping anything, but Photo Mechanic does have an option to rename as it downloads and there are numerous variables that can be applied to guarantee unique filenames.

PM also has a tool to edit the EXIF times so that I can sync the cameras up and make sure they're sorting in the right order even on a shoot with 5 cameras for example.

It isn't a RAW convertor or a cataloging program but for deadline editing there is nothing better.
http://www.camerabits.com

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Thanks for all your help guys.

I think the best solution will be the file rename method.

Now I just have to figure out how to rename a bunch of files in OS X as I manually import pictures into folders.

Any recommendations on the easiest way to do this? :)

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 9, 2007

Thanks, much appreciated :)

Can you tell me if it would work in this scenario? :

I manually import all the pictures from the event, taken with 2 cameras, to an event folder. I sort the file names after taken date/time.

Will any of these apps be able to name the pictures eventxx-image 1, eventxx-image 2, eventxx-image 3 and so on based on the order I've sorted the pictures and not their file names?

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.