Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
When I plug my camera into my PB G4 iPhoto opens automatically, and prompts me to import all images. I only want to import the last few taken, but cannot figure out how to do this in iPhoto. I cannot find the camera as an external drive with Finder. What to do?

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Simple minds thinking alike. Windows shows the camera as an external USB device in My Computer. I thought it would be a no brainer with Mac. Image Capture will work fine.

Thanks.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Finder should display you camera as an external drive. It should appear on desktop once mounted. If it doesnt, go to Finder preferences and check everything under the "Show these items on Desktop" text.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
For whatever reason most Canon cameras do not show up on the desktop. Most all other cameras do but not Canon.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
bigboy99 said:
When I plug my camera into my PB G4 iPhoto opens automatically, and prompts me to import all images. I only want to import the last few taken, but cannot figure out how to do this in iPhoto. I cannot find the camera as an external drive with Finder. What to do?

I bought a $5 (7 in 1) card reader and just plug my card into that and it shows up in finder as an external drive. It also saves the batteries on the camera since you dont need the camera on to transfer files.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
bigboy99 said:

To the extent you haven't erased / formatted your camera memory between downloads, the next question iPhoto will ask is whether you want to import duplicates - the answer would generally be "no" and then it will skip along to the most recent shots that you haven't downloaded before. The way to avoid this step is to format your CF or SD memory cards after downloading to your machine.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
law guy said:
To the extent you haven't erased / formatted your camera memory between downloads, the next question iPhoto will ask is whether you want to import duplicates - the answer would generally be "no" and then it will skip along to the most recent shots that you haven't downloaded before. The way to avoid this step is to format your CF or SD memory cards after downloading to your machine.

If I reformat I'll loose the numbering, right? It's a SD600 Canon, so it may never show up on the desktop.

In this case I was trying to DL images from my son's camera, so there were no dups, just hundreds of pics I didn't want to DL.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
bigboy99 said:
If I reformat I'll loose the numbering, right? It's a SD600 Canon, so it may never show up on the desktop.

In this case I was trying to DL images from my son's camera, so there were no dups, just hundreds of pics I didn't want to DL.
Neither of my Canons (S45, G3) lose the numbering based on reformatting.

I have had it go the other way though, where inserting the card from the other camera makes the camera change its number scheme to catch up to the card...

B

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
cgratti said:
I bought a $5 (7 in 1) card reader and just plug my card into that and it shows up in finder as an external drive. It also saves the batteries on the camera since you dont need the camera on to transfer files.

Oh yes, I forgot to add that I use a card reader (12 in one, if I remember correctly), thats why probably my Canon "camera" works as it should. I agree with cgratti, its much more convinient to use card reader instead of camera itself :)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
balamw said:
Neither of my Canons (S45, G3) lose the numbering based on reformatting.

Numbering sequencing is selectable on some models.

I have had it go the other way though, where inserting the card from the other camera makes the camera change its number scheme to catch up to the card...

I've had this problem too. I mentioned it someplace and got a private response from someone on how to fix this.

The basic idea was to reformat the card on your computer instead of in the camera and then do some other little trick. I'll look up the "how to" details and post them (they're at home).

I tried it and although it initially scared the bejesus out of me (some wierdness when the card was first put back into the camera), it did actually end up working.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.