Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
So, I upgraded 5 days ago from a 5-year old iPhone XR to an iPhone 15 Pro. I am overall a little underwhelmed - here's why.

- Design: the 15 Pro is definitely nicer to hold and less slippery. It reminds me of the 5/5S/SE and feels nice in the hand. Alas it is now. in a silicone case (Ryan London leather case arriving later this month) and I can't see that design. The square sides make the silicone case bulkier than the one I had on my XR. However, the ginormous cameras are monstrous. This thing can't be used flat on a table without a case and the cameras are preventing me from using the (rounded square) Anker Qi charging case I have been using for 5 years at work. Big WTF moment when I tried charging it. Finally, I opted for Natural Titanium (which looks like the space grey of the iPhone 6) but I really wish they had fun colours. It's a boring colour. I still have so much regret over buying a black XR instead of a yellow or orange one.

- Cameras: alright, the back cameras are a fair bit better. But compared to my partner's iPhone 13 Mini, I am not amazed. They still look by and large like smartphone photos. Nice to have a zoom but the 3x camera is of noticeably lesser quality. The front camera is... the same I guess? Very grainy in low light. I don't use video much but the XR already had great stabilized video so I am not appreciating the improvements of the Pro fully here.

- Screen: I did not notice 120Hz first but when going back to my XR I missed it. You got me, Apple. However, I think I prefer the "Liquid Retina LCD" over the "Retina XDR Oled". Big surprise as I was SO much looking forward to going OLED, having enjoyed having an OLED TV. The OLED has a greenish tinge, the colours don't pop as much as on the LCD (except for when I am watching HDR videos/photos) and the viewing angles are noticeably worse. I am going to attach photos to show how, at identical luminosity levels, an off-centre viewpoint sees a shift in light and colour. Disappointment. I also find OLED more tiring than LCD, which is also going against my expectations. There is also the fact that the iPhone 15 Pro screen, despite having the same diagonal as the XR and, apart from the slightly more rounded corners, about the same area, and of course a higher pixel density, shows less content. Now I remember that the XR was actually using the layout of the XS Max. I miss that extra line or two, it's like going for a smaller phone but not getting the benefit of a smaller size. Even lowering the font size to try and increase the amount of data shown, you cannot go as low as on the XR.

- Dynamic Island: it kind a takes more vertical space overall than the Notch so I don't really get it. It's slightly prettier but the phone doesn't display anything above the island and underuses the sides. Reader, I am not much impressed!

- Battery: meh. Hard to compare, but I remember being amazed by my XR when I got it. The 15 Pro does get hot (when setting it up it had to pause charging) and does use up battery at a faster rate, it seems. It's faring better than my XR at 82% battery health but It's probably not a significant upgrade compared to if I had replaced the XR's battery.

- UWB, LiDAR, Bluetooth 5.3 vs 5, Wifi 6E vs AX, MagSafe vs Qi: these upgrades are not useful to me. Is there any cool app out there that uses LiDAR and that is not a home furniture seller's or kitchen designer's app?

- 5G: haven't noticed a difference compared to 4G (I get 150-180Mbps in 4G here in London, which is more than enough for my needs) and I am on Wifi most of the time when in the office or at home.

- Speed: it's a bit faster but nothing like the increases in speed I had going from a 3GS to a 6 and from a 6 to an XR. The XR is still very comfortable with iOS 17.1. The main speed increases are felt when loading web pages, opening the camera app and dealing with a few badly programmed apps like Tesco (groceries). Otherwise, going through the home screen, Spotlight and system apps, it's more or less the same speed. Shocking, I know. I can still slow down the phone to a crawl (or my M1 Pro computer) by opening a big (>500MB) Excel file, reviewing a heavily modified Word document (e.g. a contract) with "tracking" on or receiving big attachments in MS Teams (thanks Microsoft for keeping Apple's CPU engineers on their toes). MS Office apps are consistently the most demanding apps on my computers (take that, games).

- Action button: I have tried various clever things (Shortcut that depends on the position of the phone etc) but I have settled on using it for the flashlight. I don't like that it has to be a long press. I'd prefer options to enable short press, double press etc. Not using it very often.

- USB-C: it's fine, and useful to be able to reuse the same charging cables as for my MBP 14, Logitech mouse and keyboard, etc. Now, my Apple keyboard at work and my Airpods still use Lightning, and my home chargers are Lightning (partner using a 13 Mini) so it will be a while before I ditch Lightning. I enjoy being able to plug the phone to my USB-C hubs at home and at work and using screen, keyboard and (through enabling Assistive Touch) mouse. But why didn't Apple enable an iPad-like interface on external displays? the narrow vertical area of the screen used is ridiculous. And iOS doesn't even let you fill a vertical display. Feels like a huge missed opportunity - I could almost leave the Macbook at home and just bring my iPhone to work! Feels like the potential of USB-C is far from being fully realized here.

All in all it's an extremely nice but very incremental update, and I miss LCD and finally understand why micro-LEDs have the potential of being an interesting upgrade. Long gone are the days or needing to upgrade every year or two: every 6 years seems feasible and I could have rocked my XR for another year easily, in exchange for parting with just £85 for fresh battery.

What I am most excited about for the future of the iPhone is its ability to become what John Siracusa calls a "naked robotic core" that I can dock to a USB-C hub at work and at home, use as a computer and save myself the work of carrying 14-inch brick... MBP (sorry) on my 2x hour-long cycle commute. I am also excited about micro-LED and about future advances in battery technology.

I'm just not really excited with my iPhone 15 Pro, but that's okay, as it's hopefully going to last me 5+ years.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Thanks for your review!

I too have an XR, and have held off upgrading for exactly the same reasons you've highlighted; upgrades are incremental, and have been for several years.

For me (who is just your average user and is by no way shape or form a phone lover, Apple lover, avid photographer, vlogger etc etc) upgrading an iphone provides incremental upgrades at best. Given my XR runs the latest and greatest version of iOS, buying a new iphone to use the same software and get essentially the same "user experience" as if I bought a brand new iphone is just not worth it to me.

To be honest, when I do upgrade the item I'll appreciate the most is better battery life and USB C charging! Is that worth paying a minimum of 800 USD/GBP/EUR etc etc. Nope! Much better value to continue using my XR, and change the battery (which takes a few hours at the Apple store and costs less then a tenth the cost of a brand new iphone).

that I can dock to a USB-C hub at work and at home, use as a computer and save myself the work of carrying 14-inch brick
That to me would be a handy feature (basically like Samsung Dex) though I don't think Apple will ever implement it...

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjaotkb

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
- USB-C: ....why didn't Apple enable an iPad-like interface on external displays? the narrow vertical area of the screen used is ridiculous. And iOS doesn't even let you fill a vertical display. Feels like a huge missed opportunity - I could almost leave the Macbook at home and just bring my iPhone to work! Feels like the potential of USB-C is far from being fully realized here.
Of course. Despite equipping Macs with USB-C seven years ago and the iPad gradually from about five years ago, they were forced down this route on the iPhone by the EU. So, like disgruntled employees who might 'work to rule' in protest of a change they object to, they've implemented USB-C on the iPhone the most basic way they could feasibly get away with. Its transfer speed is even limited to USB 2: you know, that technology from 23 years ago.

Reactions: ric22 and StoneJack

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
So, I upgraded 5 days ago from a 5-year old iPhone XR to an iPhone 15 Pro. I am overall a little underwhelmed - here's why.

- Design: the 15 Pro is definitely nicer to hold and less slippery. It reminds me of the 5/5S/SE and feels nice in the hand. Alas it is now. in a silicone case (Ryan London leather case arriving later this month) and I can't see that design. The square sides make the silicone case bulkier than the one I had on my XR. However, the ginormous cameras are monstrous. This thing can't be used flat on a table without a case and the cameras are preventing me from using the (rounded square) Anker Qi charging case I have been using for 5 years at work. Big WTF moment when I tried charging it. Finally, I opted for Natural Titanium (which looks like the space grey of the iPhone 6) but I really wish they had fun colours. It's a boring colour. I still have so much regret over buying a black XR instead of a yellow or orange one.

- Cameras: alright, the back cameras are a fair bit better. But compared to my partner's iPhone 13 Mini, I am not amazed. They still look by and large like smartphone photos. Nice to have a zoom but the 3x camera is of noticeably lesser quality. The front camera is... the same I guess? Very grainy in low light. I don't use video much but the XR already had great stabilized video so I am not appreciating the improvements of the Pro fully here.

- Screen: I did not notice 120Hz first but when going back to my XR I missed it. You got me, Apple. However, I think I prefer the "Liquid Retina LCD" over the "Retina XDR Oled". Big surprise as I was SO much looking forward to going OLED, having enjoyed having an OLED TV. The OLED has a greenish tinge, the colours don't pop as much as on the LCD (except for when I am watching HDR videos/photos) and the viewing angles are noticeably worse. I am going to attach photos to show how, at identical luminosity levels, an off-centre viewpoint sees a shift in light and colour. Disappointment. I also find OLED more tiring than LCD, which is also going against my expectations. There is also the fact that the iPhone 15 Pro screen, despite having the same diagonal as the XR and, apart from the slightly more rounded corners, about the same area, and of course a higher pixel density, shows less content. Now I remember that the XR was actually using the layout of the XS Max. I miss that extra line or two, it's like going for a smaller phone but not getting the benefit of a smaller size. Even lowering the font size to try and increase the amount of data shown, you cannot go as low as on the XR.

- Dynamic Island: it kind a takes more vertical space overall than the Notch so I don't really get it. It's slightly prettier but the phone doesn't display anything above the island and underuses the sides. Reader, I am not much impressed!

- Battery: meh. Hard to compare, but I remember being amazed by my XR when I got it. The 15 Pro does get hot (when setting it up it had to pause charging) and does use up battery at a faster rate, it seems. It's faring better than my XR at 82% battery health but It's probably not a significant upgrade compared to if I had replaced the XR's battery.

- UWB, LiDAR, Bluetooth 5.3 vs 5, Wifi 6E vs AX, MagSafe vs Qi: these upgrades are not useful to me. Is there any cool app out there that uses LiDAR and that is not a home furniture seller's or kitchen designer's app?

- 5G: haven't noticed a difference compared to 4G (I get 150-180Mbps in 4G here in London, which is more than enough for my needs) and I am on Wifi most of the time when in the office or at home.

- Speed: it's a bit faster but nothing like the increases in speed I had going from a 3GS to a 6 and from a 6 to an XR. The XR is still very comfortable with iOS 17.1. The main speed increases are felt when loading web pages, opening the camera app and dealing with a few badly programmed apps like Tesco (groceries). Otherwise, going through the home screen, Spotlight and system apps, it's more or less the same speed. Shocking, I know. I can still slow down the phone to a crawl (or my M1 Pro computer) by opening a big (>500MB) Excel file, reviewing a heavily modified Word document (e.g. a contract) with "tracking" on or receiving big attachments in MS Teams (thanks Microsoft for keeping Apple's CPU engineers on their toes). MS Office apps are consistently the most demanding apps on my computers (take that, games).

- Action button: I have tried various clever things (Shortcut that depends on the position of the phone etc) but I have settled on using it for the flashlight. I don't like that it has to be a long press. I'd prefer options to enable short press, double press etc. Not using it very often.

- USB-C: it's fine, and useful to be able to reuse the same charging cables as for my MBP 14, Logitech mouse and keyboard, etc. Now, my Apple keyboard at work and my Airpods still use Lightning, and my home chargers are Lightning (partner using a 13 Mini) so it will be a while before I ditch Lightning. I enjoy being able to plug the phone to my USB-C hubs at home and at work and using screen, keyboard and (through enabling Assistive Touch) mouse. But why didn't Apple enable an iPad-like interface on external displays? the narrow vertical area of the screen used is ridiculous. And iOS doesn't even let you fill a vertical display. Feels like a huge missed opportunity - I could almost leave the Macbook at home and just bring my iPhone to work! Feels like the potential of USB-C is far from being fully realized here.

All in all it's an extremely nice but very incremental update, and I miss LCD and finally understand why micro-LEDs have the potential of being an interesting upgrade. Long gone are the days or needing to upgrade every year or two: every 6 years seems feasible and I could have rocked my XR for another year easily, in exchange for parting with just £85 for fresh battery.

What I am most excited about for the future of the iPhone is its ability to become what John Siracusa calls a "naked robotic core" that I can dock to a USB-C hub at work and at home, use as a computer and save myself the work of carrying 14-inch brick... MBP (sorry) on my 2x hour-long cycle commute. I am also excited about micro-LED and about future advances in battery technology.

I'm just not really excited with my iPhone 15 Pro, but that's okay, as it's hopefully going to last me 5+ years.
Excellent detail review! Despite no excitement updates per your personal reasons, you still have positive outlook of the product as you noted on the future of the iPhone due to:
- its ability to become what John Siracusa calls a "naked robotic core" that it can be docked to a USB-C hub at work and at home, - it can be use as a computer and save yourself from the work of carrying 14-inch MBP on 2x hour-long cycle commute.
- micro-LED and
- future advances in battery technology.

Keep the positive iPhone outlooks in your mind! In the meantime, enjoy your new phone 😊

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Very interesting that the 15 Pro isn’t much faster than the Xr. Very good and informative review overall.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I am still rocking my 4 year old Xs and it is still a plenty capable device in 2023. This is not like the "old" days when a few years old iPhone 6 was barely useable. I think Apple (and the tech media) has successfully brainwashed the masses into thinking they need bigger, heavier, and more expensive phones with incremental year over year improvements.

Going forward I will always buy devices that are 2 or so years old. In fact, now is the best time to get a 13 or 14 series in great condition and at big discounts due to all the annual upgraders.

Reactions: ibookemo and LizKat

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

Agree. Plus the 5X camera is really crappy.

USB-C is a pain. All my cables are Lightning.

My 8 Plus screen is easier to look at and read.

Dynamic Island: Dumb. Just dumb.

The Max is still too heavy.

Sent it back. Prefer the Plus phones.

There's actually too much screen on these chinless phones. Too easy to make errant presses.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I did not notice 120Hz first but when going back to my XR I missed it. You got me, Apple.
It's strange for me... when the iPad Pro with ProMotion came out, everyone raved about how huge of a feature it was, but I struggled to notice the improvement from my previous iPad. But on the iPhone, for some reason I saw it immediately, and can see a dramatic difference.

Reactions: nathasnajperowa

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Is there any cool app out there that uses LiDAR and that is not a home furniture seller's or kitchen designer's app?
I specifically bought a pro phone for the LiDAR, as it enables several extra accessibility features not available on phones without it.
If the phone did not have a LiDAR, I would have just bought the plus. But I’m very happy with my Pro Max.

However, I almost wonder if you would’ve been happier going for a regular 15 instead of the 15 pro?
In battery life test the regular 15 does better than the 15 Pro, and I have heard several people say that they find apples fixed 60 Hz OLEDs easier on the eyes than their LTPO dynamically changing refresh rate displays that are used on the pros.
Plus, it has a significantly smaller camera bump while delivering very similar results.
If you’re still in the return window, I would think about saving the $400.
It’s not like the A17 is going to be supported significantly longer than the A16, they perform very similarly.

Reactions: kyjaotkb

klasma

macrumors 604
Jun 8, 2017
It's strange for me... when the iPad Pro with ProMotion came out, everyone raved about how huge of a feature it was, but I struggled to notice the improvement from my previous iPad. But on the iPhone, for some reason I saw it immediately, and can see a dramatic difference.
If you normally hold the iPhone closer to the face than the iPad, that might have an effect.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
This was excellent and honest review without trying justify purchase. Respect. Thank you. My iPhone history is

iPhone 4S
iPhone 6
iPhone XR (current)

I’m going to continue using this XR until it won’t receive security updates. Will replace battery if needed. Current battery health is 85%.

I also find XR slippery and unconfotable to use. My next iPhone will be smaller (SE) or at least with flat edges (iPhone 14 or 15). Let’s see what they have to offer when it’s time to upgrade.

I am dissapointed to hear that on newer 6,1 inch models less stuff fits on screen than on XR.

Also I’m worried about using OLED. Have never used devices with OLED.

• Love
Reactions: wnorris and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
This was excellent and honest review without trying justify purchase. Respect. Thank you. My iPhone history is

iPhone 4S
iPhone 6
iPhone XR (current)

I’m going to continue using this XR until it won’t receive security updates. Will replace battery if needed. Current battery health is 85%.

I also find XR slippery and unconfotable to use. My next iPhone will be smaller (SE) or at least with flat edges (iPhone 14 or 15). Let’s see what they have to offer when it’s time to upgrade.

I am dissapointed to hear that on newer 6,1 inch models less stuff fits on screen than on XR.

Also I’m worried about using OLED. Have never used devices with OLED.

This is just about where I'm at except my XR's batt health is 88%. Have been thinking for more than a YEAR about a 13 or 14, but tempted by the new iPad mini and the iPad Air, so just kept dithering and not buying anything. My iPad mini 4 needs upgrading lol. I'm not inclined to go from XR to the 15, still toying with the idea of getting a 14 since I have a lot of gear with Lightning requirement even though my laptops are USB-C now. Love my XR esp the sunflower yellow color.

Previous iPhones go back to the original in 2007 but I have not upgraded all that often really: the original, then a 3GS, 4S, 5C, SE, XR... and an extra SE later on, a 128GB one because as a device it's sturdy like a tank and perfect for stashing audiobooks.

Reactions: Sami13496

zkap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2019
I see some similarities with the OP, in that I also used a XR, for four years before upgrading to the 13 Pro.
I also find the 15 Pro not visually appealing, I dislike the boring look of the titanium compared to what the Pro models looked in previous years. This is actually the first time I think the regular version of the iPhone looks better than the Pro version, there's something about that back glass on the 15, while the Pro has lost that spark it had in previous years.

Unlike the OP, I saw a major difference between the XR and the 13 Pro. The LCD on the XR is brighter by default, so in the same conditions and with auto brightness the XR will have a brighter screen and the colors will pop more. You have to use manual brightness on the 13 Pro to match the XR's brightness, but when it gets bright enough, you can see the difference in colors. So the colors on the LCD aren't more vibrant, it's that the phone is raising the brightness levels by default more than the 13 Pro does.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

This is a super review, thanks for taking the time 🙏🏻

I think you’re right. iPhone is a mature platform now just like the Mac so the yearly updates are quite minor and hard to really notice.

Great to see people getting so many years use out of their phones. I’m just heading into year 2 of the 14 Pro Max and, since iOS 17, it honestly feels like a new phone.

I had the 15 Pro Max for a week but had some software issues so sent it back. Really liked the phone but if I’m completely honest it’s quite similar to last year’s with only small updates. Nice to save the cash though I guess.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
As a long time XR user I want to encourage everyone looking to update to try the 13 Mini. Improvements across the board (night photos for example, useful in real life), amazing battery life and you almost don‘t notice it in your pocket. Also it feels like it weighs half of the XR. 😂

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I am still rocking my 4 year old Xs and it is still a plenty capable device in 2023. This is not like the "old" days when a few years old iPhone 6 was barely useable. I think Apple (and the tech media) has successfully brainwashed the masses into thinking they need bigger, heavier, and more expensive phones with incremental year over year improvements.

Going forward I will always buy devices that are 2 or so years old. In fact, now is the best time to get a 13 or 14 series in great condition and at big discounts due to all the annual upgraders.
I thought about buying a 14 Pro (I really wanted to have a zoom lens… will see how much I use it) but I’m in the UK and the 15 Pro is £100 cheaper than the 14 Pro was, and as of today the price of the 14 Pro is not interesting enough to take the plunge.

I really love my partner’s 13 Mini though, it’s the perfect size…

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Here are photos (taken with an iPhone 6, sorry) showing the difference in perceived luminosity at different viewing angles.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5790.jpeg
    IMG_5790.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: Juraj22

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I thought about buying a 14 Pro (I really wanted to have a zoom lens… will see how much I use it) but I’m in the UK and the 15 Pro is £100 cheaper than the 14 Pro was, and as of today the price of the 14 Pro is not interesting enough to take the plunge.

I really love my partner’s 13 Mini though, it’s the perfect size…

Have you considered buying second hand? In the US I have found that people are looking to unload their old phones for substantially less than the original price. Apple's trade in credit is abysmal so that helps with the second hand inventory supply.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
Of course. Despite equipping Macs with USB-C seven years ago and the iPad gradually from about five years ago, they were forced down this route on the iPhone by the EU. So, like disgruntled employees who might 'work to rule' in protest of a change they object to, they've implemented USB-C on the iPhone the most basic way they could feasibly get away with. Its transfer speed is even limited to USB 2: you know, that technology from 23 years ago.
This review is about the 15 Pro. The transfer speed is not limited to USB 2 speeds; it does USB 3.2 Gen 2 at up to 10 Gb/s.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.