Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDProducer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2019
I am currently not very active. I went to get into a fitness routine & that is a great excuse to get a new device that tracks your health.

Basically that was my pitch to my wife about me buying a new watch. Haha it worked.

I have a strong desire to get fit and do this and the watch will help.

What is some advice for a guy like me? I’m curious if anyone else has been where I am. How did you start getting into working out?

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
Start with apple fitness plus sessions and find what works for you (you will get this free for a few months with a new Apple Watch purchase). If that is HIIT, running, strength etc. Also become more active by going for a daily walk for 30mins or more.

Reactions: ANDJOE

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Egh I guess it can help. It didn’t for me since I workout anyway. Just start walking. The biggest thing is to impart fitness as part of your life and routine. Similar to showering make it part daily habits where if you miss a day it feels weird. so just start walking, 30 mins per day. Download podcast and take your AirPods with you. I never tried apple fitness class but I do have a peloton and enjoy using the bike and their yoga and core classes. Complements weighlifting. so try that since apple fitness is free for a short period. I do like the Apple Watch as my tracker… my heart rate gets more efficient. Now my resting heart rate is at 38 bpm.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I walk my dog for 30 minutes every day. He loves it, and is fit at 16.5 years old! Then I do elliptical for 20 minutes. Closing my rings every day brings smiles to my face. I will be 84 on Thursday ?
Nice! You are a BOSS! Love it!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I have a strong desire to get fit and do this and the watch will help.

What is some advice for a guy like me? I’m curious if anyone else has been where I am. How did you start getting into working out?
You're in luck. You buy a new Apple Watch now and you'll get Fitness+ for free for 3 months. That would fulfill your desire exactly.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I would spend the first week without any change in routine so you get an initial baseline. Put it on, let it measure stuff, and learn about the features. Then from your second week you can start to make changes and see the impact.

That assumes that you care about the stats, of course. If you don’t then dive right in and don’t wait, obviously.

orange23

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2020
Track your sex performance by heart rate and other measurements, and your partners as well, to evaluate and adjust....

• Haha
Reactions: fezzzer

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Great plan. As others have mentioned — the Watch will come with 3 months of Fitness+ so you can test out all the workouts. Also, setting a step goal each day is helpful as it motivates you to keep up with or beat the previous day!

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
This is word for word why I got my watch. I had an S0, then switched to Android for 4 years. Came back to iPhone last year but didn’t see the need for watch. I put on a tremendous amount of weight with COVID times and it needs to come off. I specifically bought my S7 to use fitness plus with the Apple TV/Watch integration and see if it works for me.

You aren’t alone in this at all. It’ll be tough but we got this.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Great plan. As others have mentioned — the Watch will come with 3 months of Fitness+ so you can test out all the workouts. Also, setting a step goal each day is helpful as it motivates you to keep up with or beat the previous day!
My goals have increased a lot since I started my get fit regime. I am grateful every day for my Apple Watch!

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
You’ve got this guys!

Fitness + is a great place to start but why stop there? Track your steps, get yourself on Strava and find some new fitness buddies, share your activity with existing ones that you didn’t know existed and push each other to move more every day. Since purchasing the Apple Watch it’s motivated me to keep moving and get fitter every single day.

for added pressure/motivation you can keep us updated on the forums with your progress ?

Reactions: mommybetts79

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Recently I've started each day with push-ups. I literally roll out of bed, hit the deck, and start doing them. I've found that it helps me start the day - it gets my heart going, and I've literally started each day having accomplished something. So it's good both physically and mentally. My goal is to be able to do an additional five (consecutive, each day) every month. So far I'm only two push-ups away from my end-of-November goal, so it's going well.

It's free, doesn't take much time, and is something anyone can do. I highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.