Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baramus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2024
Hi everyone,
I don't have a very precise question but am looking for good advices:
I am a visual artist spending lots of time on my macbook pro 2018 15 inch.
I would like to buy a new desktop display to increase my screen work space, and work with more confort. I think a 27 inch display would fit perfectly my needs. But I have an hesitation on the resolution: do you think it worth have a 4K display, or does it risks to cost too much resources for my laptop? The retina of my computer has a resolution of 2880 × 1800 px, while 4K is 3840 x 2160, which will for sure put more pressure on the system. I am thinking may be QHD (2560 × 1440px) is enough and will lower the risk of slowing my computer while I work.

Thank you by advance for your advices :)))

PS: my processor is a 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9 6 hearts, and my graphic card is a Radeon Pro 555X 4 Go and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 Mo

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Your 2018 i9 MBP can handle 2x 5K external displays over Thunderbolt w/out a sweat so no concerns about resolution support. Other display specs and your budget will determine your choices.

Reactions: Baramus

Baramus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2024
Thank you very much @Bigwaff, then I will go for the Asus ProArt PA279CV which is a 4K affordable with pretty good specificities it seems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.