Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Good morning,

General question that I tried searching the answer to but can't seem to find, hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

I'm on the iUP with my 11 Pro and will be ordering the 12 Pro Max and am considering in store pickup. When you do that while on iUP, do you have to hand in your phone right away or do they still mail you the return kit/box so you can send the old phone back at a later point? I've always had my new phones mailed to me so I'm unsure if the swap for in store has to be done immediately.

Thanks!

colburnr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Good morning,

General question that I tried searching the answer to but can't seem to find, hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

I'm on the iUP with my 11 Pro and will be ordering the 12 Pro Max and am considering in store pickup. When you do that while on iUP, do you have to hand in your phone right away or do they still mail you the return kit/box so you can send the old phone back at a later point? I've always had my new phones mailed to me so I'm unsure if the swap for in store has to be done immediately.

Thanks!
Turn it in right away... I just did this with the 12. Considering COVID, it certainly makes more sense to just drop by the store and pick up your new phone with minimal contact, then send the old phone in via mail, but that is not what they are doing.

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Good morning,

Thanks!
I was wondering the same as I will be trading in 11PM for 12PM but due to the virus my local apple stores only open for express pick up. So transferring all the stuff will take time. I plan to pre order for 8 am pick up on release day. Then either mail phone back to apple or come by later to drop off. Apple store within 10 mins of where I live.

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Turn it in right away... I just did this with the 12. Considering COVID, it certainly makes more sense to just drop by the store and pick up your new phone with minimal contact, then send the old phone in via mail, but that is not what they are doing.
Thanks for the reply. I figured that might have been the case. I'm just a little reluctant to be without my old phone should I encounter any issues with the new phone during the first few days. I suppose I'll just do what I've done in years past and have the phone mailed to me. The UPS facility where I had stuff held for pickup is close to the Apple Store I always go to anyway.

Reactions: colburnr

Demiles

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
I traded mine in at the store during pickup of my new phone but I had the option to do it mail if I wanted to. Your choice.

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Interesting..I did not have the option, and I even asked. I certainly would have rather had the option to mail it in.
When I went this past Sunday to pick up my moms iPhone 12 I asked about my upgrade and rep said I can mail it in. They want to avoid people wiping their old previous device and setting up next device due to the virus right there on the spot.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I prefer to hand it off as I know that no one can say my phone was messed up. I mail in can be damaged in shipping and the person unboxing it 'could' drop it. Maybe that doesn't happen, but why take a chance?

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
When I went this past Sunday to pick up my moms iPhone 12 I asked about my upgrade and rep said I can mail it in. They want to avoid people wiping their old previous device and setting up next device due to the virus right there on the spot.
Yet in the UK, it seems we have no option but to do this. Staggering in the current climate that mail in isn’t an option.

Stridr69

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
I've always done in-store pickup as it's so much easier to have everything taken care of on the spot. I don't trust mailing my old phone as too many things can go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.