Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I am currently using a Beyimei USB 3.1 card on my cMP 5.1.
But a few days ago I saw the aforementioned USB card on Amazon and ordered one unit.
According to Inateck, the 5211 is compatible with 10.8.2 and later.

Has anyone tried this card?

MaikPfaffenrath

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Germany
From the pictures the card seems to use a asmedia ASM3142 chipset in conjunction with a usb hub but no PCI-E switch. The ASM3142 only supports a PCI-E 3.0 x2 connection. The cMP only uses PCI-E 2.0 so you won't be able to use the full bandwidth, other than that tere might be a good chance the card will work without problems. Inateck cards got quite a good reputation for working in the cMPs. If you have teste your card please tell us weather it does work flawlessly or if there are problems with sleepmode or anyting else. There's a big collection of data about USB cards for the cMP in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Hello. I have been using the card for about a week and haven't had ANY sleepmode incidents. This is new for me. Haven't run any speed test comparisons but it seems to be a bit faster than the aforementioned Beyimei card (that did have the sleepmode disconnection problem). Since I bought the card, it has been sold out at Amazon.es and price raised from 49.58 € to 80.31€.

niconc

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
Hello. I have been using the card for about a week and haven't had ANY sleepmode incidents. This is new for me. Haven't run any speed test comparisons but it seems to be a bit faster than the aforementioned Beyimei card (that did have the sleepmode disconnection problem). Since I bought the card, it has been sold out at Amazon.es and price raised from 49.58 € to 80.31€.
Hello,
I'm planning to buy it and put it on a cMP 5,1. I need to ask you a couple of things if I may:

1. What is the PCI-E switch mentioned above?
2. The card does have 2 controllers, right?
3. What about speed? Have you tested?
4. Disconnections?
5. And overall, are you happy with it?

Any reply would be valuable. You see, I'm located in Greece (Europe) and most of the cards proposed from the USB thread are in Amazon USA only.

Thank you.

niconc

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2021
From the pictures the card seems to use a asmedia ASM3142 chipset in conjunction with a usb hub but no PCI-E switch. The ASM3142 only supports a PCI-E 3.0 x2 connection. The cMP only uses PCI-E 2.0 so you won't be able to use the full bandwidth, other than that tere might be a good chance the card will work without problems. Inateck cards got quite a good reputation for working in the cMPs. If you have teste your card please tell us weather it does work flawlessly or if there are problems with sleepmode or anyting else. There's a big collection of data about USB cards for the cMP in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/usb-3-x-pcie-cards-for-classic-mac-pro.1501482/
Hello Maik,

I kinda new to this but If you may, could you please propose any card, dual 3142 controller with a switch, which can be fully utilised into a PCIe 2.0 slot, on a Mac Pro?

I'm in a research to find and buy such a card. Ableconn 158 and 160 are not available anymore and furthermore because I'm located in European Union (Greece) I need to buy it from e.g. Amazon.de (the German Amazon)

Thank you very much
Nick

artysan

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I am currently using a Beyimei USB 3.1 card on my cMP 5.1.
But a few days ago I saw the aforementioned USB card on Amazon and ordered one unit.
According to Inateck, the 5211 is compatible with 10.8.2 and later.

Has anyone tried this card?
I have been using the KU5211 in my CMP for about 6 months. Worked in High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, but broken by Big Sur 11.2.3. I have used it in slot 3 all along, which does not even show the card anymore in system report. Inateck's website isn't even working to report or look for support. Very unimpressed with Inateck.

I have ordered a Sonnet card and will append my findings to this discussion.

Last edited:

artysan

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
I have been using the KU5211 in my CMP for about 6 months. Worked in High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, but broken by Big Sur 11.2.3. I have used it in slot 3 all along, which does not even show the card anymore in system report. Inateck's website isn't even working to report or look for support. Very unimpressed with Inateck.

I have ordered a Sonnet card and will append my findings to this discussion.
As promised, my update. The Inateck KU5211 failed to even appear to my system following Big Sur 11.2.3 install. I received my Sonnet Allegro 4PM-E, a $50 card, yesterday and all is well. The usual no drivers needed, pain-free install and working to perfection. Virtually the same price as the troublesome Inateck. This is a no-brainer to me. Sonnet Allegro 4PM-E for the win!

artysan

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Hello Maik,

I kinda new to this but If you may, could you please propose any card, dual 3142 controller with a switch, which can be fully utilised into a PCIe 2.0 slot, on a Mac Pro?

I'm in a research to find and buy such a card. Ableconn 158 and 160 are not available anymore and furthermore because I'm located in European Union (Greece) I need to buy it from e.g. Amazon.de (the German Amazon)

Thank you very much
Nick
The Sonnet 4PM-E is a $50 card, designed specifically for PCIe 2.0, with 4x USB3.1 ports on type A receptacles. This particular card uses a shared controller, and allows 2A per port power consumption. It works brilliantly in my CMP, in every OS I have tried. High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur. The Inateck 5211 failed on Big Sur install. I highly recommend the Sonnet 4PM-E card.

joot

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
The Sonnet 4PM-E is a $50 card, designed specifically for PCIe 2.0, with 4x USB3.1 ports on type A receptacles. This particular card uses a shared controller, and allows 2A per port power consumption. It works brilliantly in my CMP, in every OS I have tried. High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur. The Inateck 5211 failed on Big Sur install. I highly recommend the Sonnet 4PM-E card.
^^ Thank you for the suggestion. Some of us are still using the MP 3,1 flashed to 5,1 in 2022 !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.