Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadsTrundte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Dear all mac users!

I have now scoured the web for a solution to my problem.

My Mac only has 128 GB of storage and 8 GB of memory (RAM), and it has started to run quite slow to the point where it has become a nuisance.

I cannot upgrade my Mac with Apple, so I will have to solve the problem myself.

I have already moved heavy duty programs, such as Final Cut Pro, to an external 500 GB storage unit. However, this was but a momentary solution, as the Macbook now struggles with more easy going programs.

I therefore want to increase my Storage and My RAM with a "hack" to a USB Thumb Drive (128 GB-130 MB/s).

I basically want my USB drives storage to migrate to my internal storage giving me a total of 256 usable storage.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do this, or can anyone point me in the right direction.

The only helpful article I have found has been this one: http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/upgrade-old-mac-more-power-create-frankenmac-3600300/

Please help!
Thank you in advance.

These are the specs of my Mac:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm pretty sure you can swap out the existing drive for a larger SSD, then put your existing SSD in an enclosure - this is the kit we installed in one of our 2012 rMBPs: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash - works perfectly.

I read about a new option from TarDisk called "Pear", but have no experience with it. I bookmarked this web review: http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/10/tardisk-pear-review/ - they offer its a good, albeit not cheap option.

I'm not into modding a Mac as you're describing as we're often using production machines. We have a few 2012 Macs, and we've just opted for bigger SSDs - it's cheaper for me as opposed to continually managing files. Good luck!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Try out EtreCheck. The program will point out what files/plugin, services that are installed and what ones are to old for you system. It will show the oath to manually delete this older files. Then after all your manually deleting reboot! This reboot will then stop any old service from keep running!

Also use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Viewer.app to see if any process is running away and eating proccesses on your Mac too.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I therefore want to increase my Storage and My RAM with a "hack" to a USB Thumb Drive (128 GB-130 MB/s).

I basically want my USB drives storage to migrate to my internal storage giving me a total of 256 usable storage.

Of course there you can do this. Simply drake any large files you like to the thumb drive and ease them from the internal storage.

The trick is deciding which files to move. Do you know what is taking up most of your internal storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.