Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
Hello

Do I have to do the whole "Creative Cloud Subscription" thing where I pay monthly for access to software?
Or, can I pay a one-time fee for unlimited use of the software programs?
The reason why I ask this, is that in the course of 6-7 years, the monthly fee adds up to over the one time fee for CS5

Has anyone else found something?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
InDesign is only available as part of the CC subscription offerings. There is no "perpetual license" version any longer.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
InDesign CS6 (Version 8.1) of 2012 was the last release with a one time payment. Still hoping that Adobe is going to come around one time and offering both license models in parallel. Unfortunately it seems that not enough people do have that wish.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
InDesign CS6 (Version 8.1) of 2012 was the last release with a one time payment. Still hoping that Adobe is going to come around one time and offering both license models in parallel. Unfortunately it seems that not enough people do have that wish.

This will not happen. Adobe has had a hugely successful financial year with close to 26% year on year growth since the release of Creative Cloud. There is no financial incentive to go back to the old model.

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
@lucidmedia Completely agree with you, but I can't resist to think positive and hope for some generosity of such a successful enterprise like Adobe. (just kidding)
I'm a very small fish for Adobe, but until 2012 I did spent in fact almost $ 10k in Adobe products. The last 5 years it was zero. If there is no urgent need for whatever reason, I won't return as a customer as long as there is no perpetual license offering. I will continue to use old Adobe products and slowly migrate to different vendors products. I guess I'm not the only one sick of subscriptions and there might come a time when it's even worth for Adobe catching all the small fishes again...

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
If there is no urgent need for whatever reason, I won't return as a customer as long as there is no perpetual license offering. I will continue to use old Adobe products and slowly migrate to different vendors products. I guess I'm not the only one sick of subscriptions and there might come a time when it's even worth for Adobe catching all the small fishes again...

Affinity is probably your best bet. They have a one-time licensing fee and are actively going after "small fish" as you define them. They will be releasing a layout program soon, to go along with thier photo and illustration software.

Sooner or later I would expect Affinity to move over to a subscription model if they want to stay competitive, or start raising their prices. Sketch and Figma have made the jump to subscription, as have the majority of creative tools I use. The core challenge is that the "small fish" creative market simply does not spend enough money to keep all these companies afloat. Its why Apple backed away from the sector and why Adobe now targets subscriptions for every employee in larger corporations and universities.

Reactions: organicCPU

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Affinity is probably your best bet.
I will test drive Serif Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer at the beginning of next year. I really hope they're worthy alternatives to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator like so many users are reporting.
They will be releasing a layout program soon
Yeah, that's gonna be interesting, too. For DTP there are at least some more alternatives available. I've been using QuarkXpress 3 and 4 a while back and it has always been as powerful as InDesign. The recent version is probably a safe bet for serious DTP, too. Then there are Viva Designer and Scribus, that became awesome powerful and IMHO is really an amazing Open Source Software.
Sooner or later I would expect Affinity to move over to a subscription model if they want to stay competitive, or start raising their prices.
Raising prices would be o.k. if it's a product of high quality. Subscription IMO is not a deal breaker, but it depends on how the subscription works. E.g., there is software I use that has a one time fee, but after one year you won't get any more updates if you don't pay for one up to three years through an upgrade subscription. That's a fair model, because you are always staying ready for operation with the version you have installed. Then there is the possibility to make the main part of the app fully operational after end of subscription and charge for updates and extra services like cloud storage, sync services or cluster rendering on a yearly basis. Operational capability is the main reason for me not to jump into a Creative Cloud subscription, the price tag is just a minor issue.
I remember the days with QuarkXpress and the hardware dongles, that sometimes suddenly refused to work. Because no service provider nor any serious creative professional can live with the risk to be inoperable, even just for an hour of a day, the dongle lead to installation of suspicious software cracks even though the license was paid, just to get rid of the delicate dongle. That was weird.
Concerning Creative Cloud, I'm sometimes working in places where I don't have any internet access for quite a long period and I couldn't afford to be forced to get an internet connection, just to renew or reactivate my license. On the other hand, I don't like the idea, that I won't be able to access and more important to export or convert my own data anymore, if I'd decide to stop my subscription at some time. Then Adobe could stop their activation servers at some point for older versions, like they have done before for older CS suites, that would be annoying.
Sketch is another app that I would have enjoyed to utilise for my workflow, but I don't think that Sketch does have a more liberal subscription model than Adobe CC, that makes it a no way for me.
I entirely understand that software companies are somehow forced to choose the subscription model to survive and I don't blame them for doing so. As they do have the freedom to choose their business model, I'm glad that I can select the technology that gives me the highest benefit, at least if there are some options available. If there were more people with my demands, the majority of recent subscription models wouldn't be accepted like they're existing today, because finally it's just the user's decision what he's paying for and what not. From a big (former) Adobe fan!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.