Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyVee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Hi All,
I have a Nikon D50 for wildife photography. It came with a 18/55mm Nikkor DX lens. I also have a Nikkor 55/200mm DX and a Sigma 400 APO f5.6 lens as well as a Sigma 1.4 x converter. All give me full AF and TTL metering with the D50. I now want to upgrade the camera body and in fact have sold the D50 and 18/55mm lens. My question is which of the Nikon camera bodies (old and new) will be fully compatible with the remaining two lenses and give me full AF and TTL metering, especially with the Sigma 400mm which I use most of the time.
Best wishes
Tony
P.S. The two Nikkor lenses have built in AF motors, the Sigma does not. So it needs a body with a built-in AF motor.
Tony

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Hi All,
I have a Nikon D50 for wildife photography. It came with a 18/55mm Nikkor DX lens. I also have a Nikkor 55/200mm DX and a Sigma 400 APO f5.6 lens as well as a Sigma 1.4 x converter. All give me full AF and TTL metering with the D50. I now want to upgrade the camera body and in fact have sold the D50 and 18/55mm lens. My question is which of the Nikon camera bodies (old and new) will be fully compatible with the remaining two lenses and give me full AF and TTL metering, especially with the Sigma 400mm which I use most of the time.
Best wishes
Tony

For the two Nikkor lenses, all of the Nikon digital SLR cameras ever made (in the last 10 years), because the Nikkor lenses are AF-S... and at least one Nikon film SLR camera (F6, I believe). I'm not that familiar with the Sigma lens but not sure it supports the Nikon AF-S equivalent. I think that Sigma would at least still meter but not provide AF...? I do reserve the right to be wrong, though. :D

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
If the Sigma lens lacks a built in focus motor then you need a D80/D90 or above.

The entry level D40, D60, D3000 and D5000 will only auto-focus AF-S lenses, or AF-S equivalents made by the third party manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.