Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I did it. Ok, I'm insane.

I opened up my perfectly good Sony DSC-W55 and removed the IR filter. Was quite an adventure. Now I have a infrared capable P&S. Now I have to play a bit with filters and wait for the summer to get good contrast with green trees and grass.

Here are some samples:

4298085560_a7ff7f3fe7_o.jpg

4296430399_fbc7d87ed7_b.jpg

here is how it looked inside the DSC-W55:

4297362969_4e268f17b3_b.jpg

4297364777_989b4cb5c0_b.jpg

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Try some low-light or no light photography. I have a friend who was able to get IR light off a planet in a dark closet. She was using IR film though.. Heck, maybe you can catch some ghosts now ;)

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
You are indeed brave to open up you camera and do the modification yourself. I'd never dream of doing that. Now, did you instal a IR-pass filter in front of the sensor or are you using a filter in front of the lens?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
You are indeed brave to open up you camera and do the modification yourself. I'd never dream of doing that. Now, did you instal a IR-pass filter in front of the sensor or are you using a filter in front of the lens?

well, i did just remove the IR filter. i didn't have a fitting IR pass filter and I wanted to have the chance to try different IR pass filters (700-1000nM) and play around.

there are a few problems: there is no custom white balance so i have to do with the preset ones. also the filter at the front of the lens is more prone to flare than a internal one. also there is no real manual mode for long exposures (bulb mode)

taking the camera apart was not so bad. 9 screws and a bit wiggling on the lens assembly. i didn't have to disconnect any wires.
the IR filter is just loosely on the sensor with a metal clamp.

i don't have the right tools so i discharged the flash capacitor (highly recommended to discharge it) via my automatic egg cooker. i'm serious.
i was done in less than 30 min. i didn't care much about dust and it seems I was lucky.

replacing a HD on old powerbooks or MBP's is much harder, let alone replacing the HD on an eMac.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
well, i did just remove the IR filter. i didn't have a fitting IR pass filter and I wanted to have the chance to try different IR pass filters (700-1000nM) and play around.

there are a few problems: there is no custom white balance so i have to do with the preset ones. also the filter at the front of the lens is more prone to flare than a internal one. also there is no real manual mode for long exposures (bulb mode)

taking the camera apart was not so bad. 9 screws and a bit wiggling on the lens assembly. i didn't have to disconnect any wires.
the IR filter is just loosely on the sensor with a metal clamp.

i don't have the right tools so i discharged the flash capacitor (highly recommended to discharge it) via my automatic egg cooker. i'm serious.
i was done in less than 30 min. i didn't care much about dust and it seems I was lucky.

replacing a HD on old powerbooks or MBP's is much harder, let alone replacing the HD on an eMac.

I guess that's good, I'd just be worried about damaging the sensor. Then again I have a DSLR which is a bit more complex.

Now that is an interesting way to discharge something, did you happen to cook an egg while you were at it? :p

And yeah, replacing hard drives can be tricky although the generation that had the removable keyboards were nice.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
well, have to select a different white balance next time and also work a bit on post processing. this is fun.

4298002813_85fed70449_b.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Very nice pics!

Forgive my ignorence but what exactly have you done here? I understand you've removed the IR filter so does this mean that the sensor is seeing infrared light as well as the normal spectrum visible to the human eye?

Thanks

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Very nice pics!

Forgive my ignorence but what exactly have you done here? I understand you've removed the IR filter so does this mean that the sensor is seeing infrared light as well as the normal spectrum visible to the human eye?

Thanks

Yes. Even with the sensor with an IR filter some IR gets through but removing the filter expands the range. And by adding an IR pass filter (which blocks visible light) the camera only sees infrared light.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Yes. Even with the sensor with an IR filter some IR gets through but removing the filter expands the range. And by adding an IR pass filter (which blocks visible light) the camera only sees infrared light.

correct. ccd sensors are sensitive for visible light (400-700nm wavelength) and for infrared (up to 1200nm but NOT thermal radiation, body heat or so).

in order to avoid black cloth to appear brown or red due to their infrared signal the camera makers put a filter on the sensor that cuts 99% of the infrared light. i removed that filter. in addition to that i put a filter in front of the lens that lets only infrared light through (Hoya R72). everything has then a reddish tint. with photoshop or pixelmator and a good choice of white balance you can make the pics look like this. actually they look right out of the camera almost like this. green plants reflect infrared and show up white, black colors often are brown or red, red cloth sometimes are pink, sometimes white. this gives this strange gothic look. the contrast is usually very high since IR penetrates dust and haze.

you can simply use the Hoya R72 filter (~30 dollar) on almost every camera and get similar results. however you need the exposure times of 20-30 sec in sunlight. i need normal exposure times of about 1/50-1/200.

a good example: the red roses for my girlfriend look just white in IR.

4301336441_f222ec8d17.jpg

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
finally spring is coming and IR pictures get a bit more contrast. straight from the Sony DSC-W55. if anybody wants to play with post processing feel free. i'm eager to learn some tricks.:)

4508896916_a194c8492b_b.jpg

4508253721_ac55a3d521_b.jpg

4508892434_879abda3f4_b.jpg

some PP

4509161350_2bd87cf16f_b.jpg

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Wow you are brave! Would love to do that but too scared. Might just buy one already converted. Thanks for sharing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.