Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I would like to buy an infrared filter for my 77mm lenses, and am confused by the huge differences in price for varying filters. The cheapest one I see new on Amazon is just over $50, while my local camera shop sells them for $295! :eek:

So, are not all infrared filters created equally, given these huge price differences? Should I just save my money up to get a high dollar one because it would be worth it, or can I just buy the $50 filter?

BTW Freebooter: It very well could be those neat infrareds you've posted that have motivated me to get an infrared filter. :)

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
the main issue is how much light they reflect vs. pass through

the more expensive ones like heliopan, etc. have many special coatings, etc. to allow as much light through as possible

just get the $50 one-i doubt there will be a huge difference, especially with infrared

tiffen seems to be a good brand for those not willing/needing to spend serious cash

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I would like to buy an infrared filter for my 77mm lenses

Are you shooting film? What kind B&W, E6, what?
black and white works the best. If you want color IR
then you can buy color IR senstive film.

If you are shooting a digital then there is an IR blocking filter glued to the sensor. People who shot IR using a Nikon D70 would have had the filter removed and the camera in effect converted to dedicated IR.

If you are using a DSLR and don't want ot have it modified you can get the same effect as the screw on filter in post processing

If yu are curious about the expensive filter bring your camera into the shop and take some test shots right there in the store

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you shooting film? What kind B&W, E6, what?
black and white works the best. If you want color IR
then you can buy color IR senstive film.

If you are shooting a digital then there is an IR blocking filter glued to the sensor. People who shot IR using a Nikon D70 would have had the filter removed and the camera in effect converted to dedicated IR.

If you are using a DSLR and don't want ot have it modified you can get the same effect as the screw on filter in post processing

If yu are curious about the expensive filter bring your camera into the shop and take some test shots right there in the store
Chris, you are incorrect regarding the d70 as I own this camera and use a Hoya r72 IR filter. The d70 CAN do IR with an IR filter. It was the earlier dRebels to the best of my knowledge, that could not do IR even with the IR filters. I would do a search there before taking my word for it on the Canon bodies. I can show you straight from the camera IR photos with a D70 that has not been converted to IR only.

Post processing IR never looks as good as in-camera IR whether you shoot digital or film. You will find that buying a sub-standard filter regardless of amount of light let in will cause you to have images that are a bit softer. With IR and the slow shutter speeds you hardly notice so to bocomo's point picking up the $50 filter will probably suffice. Filters, like lenses, are often better if you pay for it. This has always been my experience. At 77mm you will also pay for that since it is such a large filter.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
This is for my digital SLR (Canon 5D).

So you can't do infrared filters on digital?

About the filter size - I have three Canon L lenses, all of which use 77mm filter sizes.

EDIT - Jessica posted while I was writing this post.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York

this is a good post and i think it's easy for others to get confused, so i will try to clarify a bit:

the IR filter in front of the camera's sensor BLOCKS IR wavelengths from getting to the sensor. therefore, with that little filter in place, you can't get a true IR pic because the sensor will record no IR.

chris is correct in stating that if you just want the effect of the filter that you place in front of the lens, you can do that in post. as others have pointed out-this won't be a good/true as recording IR on the sensor. it is a compromise between a little camera surgery and IR quality

hope that helps (and that i don't sound like a know-it-all or anything)

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.