Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I used to do a fair amount of IR film stuff. Since switching mainly to digital I haven't tried.
Mainly due to the cost of a 68mm IR filter...

some info

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I used to do a fair amount of IR film stuff. Since switching mainly to digital I haven't tried.
Mainly due to the cost of a 68mm IR filter...

Damn... I was really hoping I could get a filter pretty cheaply and attach it to a lens... :(

Is there a digital process on PS that can 'attempt' to replicate the effect?

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Three ways to achieve IR effects:

1. On a DSLR, buy an IR filter that will fit your lens. Downside is that they block out visible light. Which means metering and focus won't work. You also have to guess at exposure times. Usually the exposure times are going to be fairly long, so this route requires a tripod. Be very careful not to look at the sun through them, since all the IR light is passing through and could fry your eyes (not positive about this last, but I wouldn't take chances).

2. There are specialty shops that will modify the sensor on your camera (more specifically the filter that the camera maker installed to block IR light). Digital sensors are very sensitive to IR light, so without a blocking filter every photo would have the surreal IR look. Remove this filter and voila, white grass and leaves. It's possible to convert both DSLRs and some point-and-shoots. Once you do it though, the camera can ONLY shoot IR. So make sure you really like this style of photography.

3. It's possible to fake the IR look in Photoshop.

IR photography At the bottom of the page he has a link where he describes how to achieve the IR effect in Photoshop.

Hope this helps.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Three ways to achieve IR effects:

1. On a DSLR, buy an IR filter that will fit your lens. Downside is that they block out visible light. Which means metering and focus won't work. You also have to guess at exposure times. Be very careful not to look at the sun through them, since all the IR light is passing through and could fry your eyes (not positive about this last, but I wouldn't take chances).

2. There are specialty shops that will modify the sensor on your camera (more specifically the filter that the camera maker installed to block IR light). Digital sensors are very sensitive to IR light, so without a blocking filter every photo would have the surreal IR look. Remove this filter and voila, white grass and leaves. It's possible to convert both DSLRs and some point-and-shoots. Once you do it though, the camera can ONLY shoot IR. So make sure you really like this style of photography.

3. It's possible to fake the IR look in Photoshop. IR photography

Hope this helps.

Great thanks, i guess buying the filter will be too much for just a toy and modding a camera isn't an option so either photoshop or find some money :p

Thanks for the good info and so fast :D

I'll look into the PS alternative.

Cheers,
Luke.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you just want to play are you are moderately handy, find a used PnS. Pull it apart and there is a little piece of green glass over the sensor that you need to remove. Reassemble and voila, you have an IR camera for almost no money. If you find one of the canons that you can install the modified firmware on, you can even get raw files with it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Damn... I was really hoping I could get a filter pretty cheaply and attach it to a lens... :(

Is there a digital process on PS that can 'attempt' to replicate the effect?

It's cheaper and better to simply buy a film body and load it with IR film. You can buy good usable film body for less than $100. You can not "auto-focus" IR. It must be manually focused. Same with exposure, it must be manually metered so there is no advantage to newer cameras

The only way to get true IR images with digital is to have your DSLR converted. They will remove the color mosaic filter, turning the camera into a black and white camera that is sensitive to IR.

With film you have the option of using either black and white IR film or color IR film.

Yes you can fake it in Photoshop. The simple way is to just kep the red channel. Then if you want more, subtracta bit of the green and a little of the blue. In PS to "subtract" you'd layer on a negative image and adjust the to 10 or 50% or whatever

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If you want a really cheap (dirt cheap) solution mod a web cam. The IR cut filter is easier to access and a piece of completely black negative serves as an IR filter. The major downside is it's low res.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
It's cheaper and better to simply buy a film body and load it with IR film. You can buy good usable film body for less than $100. You can not "auto-focus" IR. It must be manually focused. Same with exposure, it must be manually metered so there is no advantage to newer cameras

The only way to get true IR images with digital is to have your DSLR converted. They will remove the color mosaic filter, turning the camera into a black and white camera that is sensitive to IR.

With film you have the option of using either black and white IR film or color IR film.

Yes you can fake it in Photoshop. The simple way is to just kep the red channel. Then if you want more, subtracta bit of the green and a little of the blue. In PS to "subtract" you'd layer on a negative image and adjust the to 10 or 50% or whatever

You are not totally correct. A converted cameras can be color or black and white, depending on the conversion. Also, you can both meter and auto-focus with a converted camera. This means it can be hand-held, you can compose through the viewfinder, and exposure will usually be close only requiring a bit of tweaking. Assuming you don't care about the cost, a digital conversion is by far the best way to go.

LifePixel

rajank

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
photo on canvas

As, digital photos on canvas is the latest offering of the photography development, this art form has already become

popular. Apart from, printing all sorts of digital photosontocanvas, other benefits of digital photo canvas include photo

enlargements, combining two or more photos onto one canvas and reproducing fine art prints.

These beautiful digital canvas photos are perfect for any occasions and suitable as custom-made gifts,
special occasion presents and personalized gifts.In present days, as individuals are showing interest
in converting photo on canvas , gradually digital
photos on canvas has also found its way in home and office décor.ThusFree Web Content, digital
photo printing technology in canvas is a major advantage for people who wish to transform their photos into masterpieces.
Thanks
JSR Solution

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
If you just want to play are you are moderately handy, find a used PnS. Pull it apart and there is a little piece of green glass over the sensor that you need to remove. Reassemble and voila, you have an IR camera for almost no money. If you find one of the canons that you can install the modified firmware on, you can even get raw files with it.

Before you do this keep in mind you will need to replace the IR filter with something non filtering of equal size. Otherwise you'll end up with a point and shoot that cannot focus to infinite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.