Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Im about to get delivery of a Black Magic pocket 4k that records to an SSD. The SSD is connected by USB C but my MacBook only has thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 ports.
I know you can get adaptor cables but is this all just snake oil here. Has anyone actually done it and got it to work successfully. There is so much conflicting information out there you dont know who to believe.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Im about to get delivery of a Black Magic pocket 4k that records to an SSD. The SSD is connected by USB C but my MacBook only has thunderbolt 2 and USB 3 ports.
I know you can get adaptor cables but is this all just snake oil here. Has anyone actually done it and got it to work successfully. There is so much conflicting information out there you dont know who to believe.

I bought a Samsung T3 a few years ago and it has a USB-C port and comes with a USB-C to USB-3 cable. It works just fine. So just get a USB-C to USB-3 cable and you should be fine. I have not found anything satisfactory on price/performance going through Thunderbolt 2. It's possible that you can use the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from Apple to connect to a USB-C hub but you need one or two gender changers to get it to work. I've only heard about this stuff - I haven't read about someone getting it to work.

Reactions: mty

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
usb-c to usb-A usb 3.0/1 cable should work just fine as long as it's a usb not thunderbolt device ( I assume it is )

usb-c is just a connector type, it can carry either thunderbolt 3 or usb 1/2/3 or hdmi, etc, so a usb c to a cable is perfectly valid.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
usb-c to usb-A usb 3.0/1 cable should work just fine as long as it's a usb not thunderbolt device ( I assume it is )

usb-c is just a connector type, it can carry either thunderbolt 3 or usb 1/2/3 or hdmi, etc, so a usb c to a cable is perfectly valid.
Correct. It should be noted that a USB-C to A cable will only carry USB 1/2/3 data and will not carry TB3 data/video.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI

What SSD are you purchasing or do you current have? In terms of USB-C, there is a lot of confusion and this will only increase as they expand the USB specification. However, the camera USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 1, so in effect, it's like the old standard USB 3 ports. You just need the correct cable/adapter and in this case the only way you can go wrong is if you get a "charging" cable or a USB-2 cable/adapter or if you get the connector type wrong. Otherwise, if you get a USB-C cable/adapter that does USB 3, you'll be fine (presuming you are connecting to a USB 3 device on the other end). If you post what device you want to connect the camera to, we can post links to an appropriate cable/adapter. (You mentioned both your 2015 MBP and an unspecified SSD - just need to know specifically the devices you want to connect.) Really no snake oil involved.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
What SSD are you purchasing or do you current have? In terms of USB-C, there is a lot of confusion and this will only increase as they expand the USB specification. However, the camera USB-C port is 3.1 Gen 1, so in effect, it's like the old standard USB 3 ports. You just need the correct cable/adapter and in this case the only way you can go wrong is if you get a "charging" cable or a USB-2 cable/adapter or if you get the connector type wrong. Otherwise, if you get a USB-C cable/adapter that does USB 3, you'll be fine (presuming you are connecting to a USB 3 device on the other end). If you post what device you want to connect the camera to, we can post links to an appropriate cable/adapter. Really no snake oil involved.

I forgot about those charging cables. In general, I just go with Amazon Basics for cables and I've been fine.

mty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
I bought a Samsung T3 a few years ago and it has a USB-C port and comes with a USB-C to USB-3 cable. It works just fine. So just get a USB-C to USB-3 cable and you should be fine. I have not found anything satisfactory on price/performance going through Thunderbolt 2. It's possible that you can use the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter from Apple to connect to a USB-C hub but you need one or two gender changers to get it to work. I've only heard about this stuff - I haven't read about someone getting it to work.

That in a nutshell that answers all my questions thank you very much ....Im getting a T3 too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.