Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I wasn't going to get it, but I caved in last night and had one delivered from the store. 256 GB Space Black. I just bought the 12.9 M2 last year and I've been fine with it. I certainly don't need a new iPad but the YouTube reviews got the best of me.

By far the thing you first notice is the weight difference as compared to the M2. It feels a lot lighter in the hand and with the slimmer size I feel Apple has perfected the form factor. It's really nice and beyond premium.

The big reason I ordered was to compare the OLED display with the Mini LED and do some pixel peeping. To get to the point the new display is phenomenal and the added contrast and color capabilities add an extra aspect of resolution and realism. The old Mini LED display looks veiled in comparison. Anything you may see in a review does not do justice to just how good it is in person. It's the best display I have seen, and the best display on any Apple device ever.

I was going through my usual test videos, web pages and photos and all the time thinking that I am going to have to keep this thing, and trade in my less than a year old M2. Usually there is some hesitation in coming to this decision, but not with this iPad.

The M4 is very snappy. The difference from the M2 is readily apparent.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I agree and in particular this OLED display.

Wonder if the tandem panels allow them to increase sub pixel density somehow. This is miles ahead of the displays on Samsung pads.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Good input. Do you see much color difference in the display between the two devices? Some have mentioned the new display having a tint or being warmer - do you see that?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I also have a very positive view of the new iPad - no grains, weird blacks or any of the other stuff people are complaining about,

Reactions: Tybull

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Good input. Do you see much color difference in the display between the two devices? Some have mentioned the new display having a tint or being warmer - do you see that?

The display color temp looks the same to me, M2 12.9 to 13 M4. It doesn't seem "warm" at all, but that is probably perception. I'm less sensitive to display issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Finally saw that iPads at the Apple store. I was surprised to feel how light it is. It's like a sheet of paper compared to my Galaxy Tab S9 ultra. Coming from an oled tablet I wasn't wowed by the iPad screen. It does look nice though. Those coming from the older iPads will appreciate the new OLED screen more. I want one with the keyboard but cant find a need lol. I'd like to buy one and try it out for photo editing.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.