Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
So far, I am absolutely loving it. I'm coming from a mid-2012 13" MBA w/ 8GB memory, 256gb storage, i7 2.0GHz processor to a 16GB, 256gb storage, i7 3.3GHz so almost everything is better in every aspect. The build quality is superb, I'm really liking the keyboard (there is some adjustment but honestly its not so bad. I think I prefer this one), the touch bar is okay... I can see why some people think its a waste of space. I've been having fun with it haha. Everything is flying on this machine (did a clean install of everything). The screen is amazing lol (I guess coming from a MBA screen anything else would be amazing). The speakers are definitely awesome. As you can see, I am satisfied with my purchase...

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
So far, I am absolutely loving it. I'm coming from a mid-2012 13" MBA w/ 8GB memory, 256gb storage, i7 2.0GHz processor to a 16GB, 256gb storage, i7 3.3GHz so almost everything is better in every aspect. The build quality is superb, I'm really liking the keyboard (there is some adjustment but honestly its not so bad. I think I prefer this one), the touch bar is okay... I can see why some people think its a waste of space. I've been having fun with it haha. Everything is flying on this machine (did a clean install of everything). The screen is amazing lol (I guess coming from a MBA screen anything else would be amazing). The speakers are definitely awesome. As you can see, I am satisfied with my purchase...

"The touchbar is okay"

Resounding endorsement.

Reactions: Pootmatoot

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
I'm interested to hear how it compares to your MBA as I'm planning on upgrading from a 2013 MBA (not sure if I'll go with a 13 or 15). I went with a maxed out air over a pro at the time largely due to battery life and weight reasons and haven't regretted it. I love the fact that I can keep a lot of work/productivity apps open and it almost never heats up or has the fans kick on. Once you've had some time to put it through its paces, I'd love to know how the new pro compare on the following:

- Heat and fan noise
- Battery life
- Size difference
- What resolution are you using?

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015

Thanks for the review. I'm upgrading from the same machine just like yours, but mine only has a i5.

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I'm interested to hear how it compares to your MBA as I'm planning on upgrading from a 2013 MBA (not sure if I'll go with a 13 or 15). I went with a maxed out air over a pro at the time largely due to battery life and weight reasons and haven't regretted it. I love the fact that I can keep a lot of work/productivity apps open and it almost never heats up or has the fans kick on. Once you've had some time to put it through its paces, I'd love to know how the new pro compare on the following:

- Heat and fan noise
- Battery life
- Size difference

I will be using VMs either today or tomorrow so I will definitely let you know to see how the heat and fan noise are (my MBA's CPU usage would go > 100% with one VM open which would make the fans run). So far I have not heard the fans but the machine does get a little warm occasionally. Battery life has been about eight hours. I haven't let the battery deplete so this will vary. Size difference is noticeable once you really start using this. The thick, grey bezels are such a thing of the past lol. The screen clarity is just amazing coming from a MBA screen. Right now I am using the P3 gamut resolution and I didn't notice much of a difference from the resolution the computer came with. I can give you an update in about a week or so :)

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas

- Heat and fan noise
- Battery life
- Size difference

I'm running a windows 10 VM, and a centos VM. Battery life sucks, about 5 hours with virtualbox running, without VB, it's about 6 hours, regardless of if you're pushing the laptop hard, or just browsing.

no heat, no fan noise. These fans don't even have the ability to make anything annoying. You hear it for a bit, but once it cools down it does a good job of regulating itself, so that's nice.

It's smaller than the air, i'd say by about 20%. I just put my 13 inch TB on top of my 2015 MBA, and it's noticeably smaller, and thinner.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: FattyMembrane

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
It's smaller than the air, i'd say by about 20%. I just put my 13 inch TB on top of my 2015 MBA, and it's noticeably smaller, and thinner.
I can attest to that. I'm currently laying in bed with this and the size difference is similar to night and day from a MacBook Air. Everything just seems more compact in this laptop. You will appreciate the size difference and will look at your Air as a relic haha.

Reactions: FattyMembrane

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I can attest to that. I'm currently laying in bed with this and the size difference is similar to night and day from a MacBook Air. Everything just seems more compact in this laptop. You will appreciate the size difference and will look at your Air as a relic haha.

Shame they couldn't fit the tapered design into the 13" MBP. I feel like that makes the Air feel much thinner.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Shame they couldn't fit the tapered design into the 13" MBP. I feel like that makes the Air feel much thinner.

Personally I wish they made it more boxy. I hate that they put the weird oval belly under it. But yeah, it makes my macbook air look kind of like a relic, even more so when i turn on 4k in youtube :p

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
I'm running a windows 10 VM, and a centos VM. Battery life sucks, about 5 hours with virtualbox running, without VB, it's about 6 hours, regardless of if you're pushing the laptop hard, or just browsing.

no heat, no fan noise. These fans don't even have the ability to make anything annoying. You hear it for a bit, but once it cools down it does a good job of regulating itself, so that's nice.

Hope that helps!

If you're only getting 6 hours after doing Spotlight indexing and the usual "new Mac" stuff, then this is very disappointing.... However 5 hours with VirtualBox & 2 VMs is not too bad!

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
If you're only getting 6 hours after doing Spotlight indexing and the usual "new Mac" stuff, then this is very disappointing.... However 5 hours with VirtualBox & 2 VMs is not too bad!

That's kind of the problem, the times should be much higher WITHOUT vm's running. I just browsed, purchase a few things on amazon, watched some videos on Hulu, and a couple youtube videos, got about 5.5 hours

Then... I fired up two vm's, got about 5 hours,
Then, I compiled lots of Xcode projects, and used some emulators for my apps, and got about 5.5 hours. it's like, no matter what I do on it, hard or soft, I'm getting 6 hours.

it's strange. I am finding the " remaining times to be a little more accurate though. so that's a good sign. Right now I'm at 98% and it's saying 5.45 hours, which is more than I've managed to get yet. So.. we'll see how that plays out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.