Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I've got a 1TB Samsung SSD in my iMac, installed about a year ago. Annoyingly enough It's now had an astonishing 17.1 TERABYTES written. Is it just me or does this seem really high? I know Crashplan is one culprit, and I just moved the cache to an external HDD. Looking at activity monitor, launchd is at the top now that I've cleared Crashplan. Any thoughts on chasing this down? A lot of the posts I've seen are older than a year, or irrelevant. Then again, I'm tired, that may not be helping :)

https://goo.gl/photos/r7kkoFiCnYC5krGAA

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I've got a 1TB Samsung SSD in my iMac, installed about a year ago. Annoyingly enough It's now had an astonishing 17.1 TERABYTES written. Is it just me or does this seem really high? I know Crashplan is one culprit, and I just moved the cache to an external HDD. Looking at activity monitor, launchd is at the top now that I've cleared Crashplan. Any thoughts on chasing this down? A lot of the posts I've seen are older than a year, or irrelevant. Then again, I'm tired, that may not be helping :)

https://goo.gl/photos/r7kkoFiCnYC5krGAA

Crumbs. How often do you shut down? Reopen windows when logging back in unticked/disabled?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you keep up those rates then you will probably start seeing noticeable write endurance issues only after 20+ years. I am sure that your SSD and the computer will die long before that of unrelated issues. I wound't worry.

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Crumbs. How often do you shut down? Reopen windows when logging back in unticked/disabled?

I barely shut down. Sleep mode more often. And I have sleep images, noatime, time machine local disabled.

If you keep up those rates then you will probably start seeing noticeable write endurance issues only after 20+ years. I am sure that your SSD and the computer will die long before that of unrelated issues. I wound't worry.

Yea. One can only hope. The fact that the ssd is impossible to get to on the imac, I'd rather not risk. It's writing more than it's reading.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My 1TB SSD has done 10TB in 18mths...obviously YMMV. It still has 100% wear indicator left according to DriveDX so I'm not too worried...
Agreed... here is my two year old rMBP.

OP> I would undo all those "tweaks" you did and just not worry about. That computer will be in the recycle bin before the SSD wears out.

Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 6.54.53 AM.png

Reactions: hkbladelawkhk

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
launchd is the second process when booting and hierarchically above all other processes except kernel_task. I suspect that launchd is simply a catch-all for things that cannot be ascribed to other programs (anymore). launchd is at the top of my list too, with great distance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I barely shut down. Sleep mode more often"

Then start shutting down at night, or during other periods of non-usage.

The drive can't "write" when the power's turned off!

hkbladelawkhk

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
OP wrote:
"I barely shut down. Sleep mode more often"

Then start shutting down at night, or during other periods of non-usage.

The drive can't "write" when the power's turned off!

I put it in sleep mode at night because my computer is one of my alarms.

Thanks everyone, makes me feel a little better!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've done 12.15 TB in 22 months on my latest SSD, my C drive. SSD Life Pro estimates I've got until 2023 to live with the drive at this rate, which hasn't changed since I first installed it. I can't say you have much to worry about. The biggest culprit of SSD writes is hibernate in Windows or Safe Sleep in OSX. It'll dump whatever is in the RAM to the OS drive and load it back into RAM when you come out of Safe Sleep. If OSX today is anything like Windows, a computer will come out of sleep now and again to test the network and download any data for apps that request the data.

With SSDs getting cheaper by the week, it isn't a huge expense to get a new one before your current one dies out. Regardless, keep a backup of your contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.