Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexanJohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Texas
Hello,

I tried installing/updating from Sierra to High Sierra on our iMac (late 2009).

The installation failed and indicated I needed to restart the iMac. When I restart, the same message is displayed. Thus, I appear to be stuck in a loop possibly without a valid or bootable OS.

I was able to enter Disk Utility mode. I am not familiar with the Mac OS or utilities. I ran First Aid on Macintosh HD with the following results:

Checking ..
The volume on Macintosh HD could not be repaired.
File system check exit code is 8.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume are required.
An internal error has occurred.
Operation failed...​

Does this mean our HD is toast?

There is an object, Disk Image OS X Base System. First Aid reports no errors on this image, but I'm not sure what it is.

We do use/run TimeMachine, but I wasn't sure if that actually backed up the OS. When I select Restore from the menu in Disk Utility for Macintosh HD, it states that "Macintosh HD will be erased and replaced with the data on the volume selected below." I can see the TimeMachine in the dropdown, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this. Thus, I have not.

Can I recover from my current state?
If "no", and we buy a new iMac can I recover data from the HD or do I just attempt to use the TimeMachine?
How can I can confirm/verify the most recent backup on my TimeMachine?

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does this mean our HD is toast?

I'd say that is very likely. Often with a drive that s close to shot, all the stress of an OS install will push it over the edge.

There is an object, Disk Image OS X Base System. First Aid reports no errors on this image, but I'm not sure what it is.

That is a virtual image of the recovery volume and normal. It will disappear when you reboot.

We do use/run TimeMachine, but I wasn't sure if that actually backed up the OS. When I select Restore from the menu in Disk Utility for Macintosh HD, it states that "Macintosh HD will be erased and replaced with the data on the volume selected below." I can see the TimeMachine in the dropdown, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this.

Yes... a TM backup does include the OS and you could restore from that backup, but given the message about your drive being messed up, I would not bother.

Can I recover from my current state?

If "no", and we buy a new iMac can I recover data from the HD or do I just attempt to use the TimeMachine?

I would get a new drive installed, then you can option key boot to the TM drive and format the new drive and restore.

How can I can confirm/verify the most recent backup on my TimeMachine?

If you had a operating Mac, you could attach the backup drive and look in the backup like in my screenshot and see the last backup.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 10.38.46 AM.png

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

TexanJohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Texas
I'd say that is very likely. Often with a drive that s close to shot, all the stress of an OS install will push it over the edge.

That is a virtual image of the recovery volume and normal. It will disappear when you reboot.

Yes... a TM backup does include the OS and you could restore from that backup, but given the message about your drive being messed up, I would not bother.

I would get a new drive installed, then you can option key boot to the TM drive and format the new drive and restore.

If you had a operating Mac, you could attach the backup drive and look in the backup like in my screenshot and see the last backup.

View attachment 724181

Thanks.

I have TM set to back up once a day, and it does appear that it did so last night. So from that perspective, we are good. Think we will look at buying a new one rather than replacing the hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.