Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Hallo everyone,

I just upgraded my Mac Pro 4.1 → 5.1 with a Saphire Pulse RX 560 4GB. I then did the upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave and everything works fine!

Now I would like to do a complete clean/fresh install. I know that the RX 560 won't display a boot screen, but I thought the setup screen (where I can format the disc, then install Mojave and later set up my user and everything) will at least be shown. I created an USB and booted from it via Startup Disc, but I always get a black screen. I tried it with two sticks, one USB 3.0 and later a USB 2.0, without any success.

Now I wanted to ask what I could do to install Mojave. Could I use a non-metal GPU like the GT 120 that came with the Mac Pro just for the installing process?

I'm still new to Mac Pros and all that, so I apologise if I'm missing something obvious.

Last edited:

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Mojave, I upgraded from High Sierra. But I would like to format the disc and clean install Mojave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.