Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hey folks,

I'm away from my home setup for a while but upgraded my new 12" 1.33 iBook to a SSD. Problem now is that I have no FW drive around, no USB stick and the DVD drive isn't working :D
The only thing I have is a BlackBook, a 10.5 dmg and a FW cable. So I thought it should be possible to install OS X to another mac via terminal or something alike.
Now after some minutes of searching I found out that the installation is possible with the OSInstall.mpkg found on the DVD. Works!
But....
Now I think there mjxt be a way of installing OS X vis terminal, best would be via SSH... does someone know of a way of doing this?

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
I suppose you haven't heard of Target Disk Mode then? Since that would be the most logical way of installing OS X on one device by booting the installer on the other. All you had to do is make a partition on the Blackbook, copy the DMG to said partition with Restore in Disk Utility, connect the iBook while holding T to boot into TDM, then boot the installer partition on the Blackbook and select the iBook's SSD as the install destination. After installation, remove the installer partition, et voila, the iBook now has 10.5. No need for Terminal tomfoolery.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
A little simpler than repartitioning, if you have a blank dual-layer DVD.

1. Burn the DMG on the MacBook.
2. Keep the DVD in the MacBook.
3. Reboot into TDM (hold T key).
4. Connect a FireWire cable between the two laptops.
5. Power on the iBook holding the Option key.
6. Select the Mac OS X Install DVD
7. Install.

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks guys but I'm aware of these ways, neither of them is good for me. The blackbook has Linux on it too and I dont want to risk anything with playing with the partitions. And i dont have a spare blank DVD available :D
But - there has to be a away of installing OS X via terminal without any GUI elememts

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Thanks guys but I'm aware of these ways, neither of them is good for me. The blackbook has Linux on it too and I dont want to risk anything with playing with the partitions. And i dont have a spare blank DVD available :D
But - there has to be a away of installing OS X via terminal without any GUI elememts

I was able to do something similar with a Tiger ISO via Ununtu Mate. So this could work, but the dmg needs to be converted to an iso file first. (Or re-download an ISO copy of Leopard)

1. Launch the Disks tool from Accessories / System Tools menus in Ubuntu
2. Plug in an 8GB USB thumb drive
3. Choose the Restore Image option.
4. Restore the Leopard ISO to the USB
5. Plug the USB into the iBook
6. Boot into Open Firmware (Cmd-Opt-O-F) and locate the USB drive in the OF path (dev / ls). Then boot: ...Google for instructions on booting from USB with open firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.