Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcikaroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
I have a Macbook with Sonoma. I am setting it up with an admin account and standard accounts. How can I install programs in the Admin account so they show in the Standard accounts? Thanks!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Can you give an example of an app that's not showing up? Normally you don't need to do anything special, so I wonder whether the app's installer is doing something strange.

marcikaroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2024
Thanks Nermal. I want to install Microsoft Word and Excel as well as some Adobe products.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
By default, apps are installed for all users in /Applications. Apps for a single user are put in ~/Applications.

The only thing to watch is that there may be licensing issues - is an app licensed for a single person or for the computer. All that depends on the app and how it does (or doesn't) enforce its license.

Your examples (Office and Adobe) are licensed to a user and enforce their rules by requiring each user to connect using their Microsoft or Adobe account. Each user will have their own app settings which are stored somewhere in ~/Library.

Edit: Adobe updates may cause problems. It is so convoluted how updates are installed. That might need careful testing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.