Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjnewt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
I would like to install Win 10 on my cMP 5,1 running High Sierra.

1. Can anyone confirm that the current Windows 10 version (20H2) burned on DVD will still install the LEGACY version by default? (I do not have OpenCore to protect my Boot ROM)

2. I have MVC flashed NVIDIA GPU. Can I assume my startup boot screen selector to still work afterwards (giving me Mac and Win7 and Win10 boot options?

thanks!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
1st step should be to backup your Mac Firmware to be prepared if something goes wrong.

if you start with alt key into the boot picker select Windows on the dvd and avoid uefi.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
1. Can anyone confirm that the current Windows 10 version (20H2) burned on DVD will still install the LEGACY version by default? (I do not have OpenCore to protect my Boot ROM)
Strongly encouraging OC to streamline the installation and allow for EFI bootup with NVRAM protection.
2. I have MVC flashed NVIDIA GPU. Can I assume my startup boot screen selector to still work afterwards (giving me Mac and Win7 and Win10 boot options?
Obviously. Apple boot selector screen comes before any OS is loaded, so it will always display if the card supports it, no matter what OS you put on your machine.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
@tjnewt did you ever have any success with this?
I just did such an installation on Saturday. I have never had trouble installing any version of Windows 10 on my 5,1.

Use a destination drive that is connected to one of the onboard SATA ports; it can be either a spinning hard drive or a SATA SSD. To boot from the install DVD, hold the Alt (also called Option) key after you hear the startup chime and then do not choose the EFI installer. The legacy installation should work great.

The installer might take a very long time to boot and might look like it's hung for 15–20 minutes, but don't let this scare you. Let the system sit until the installer starts.

The last release of 5,1 Mac Pro boot camp drivers does not fully support Windows 10, so you will need to use the iMac Pro Boot Camp drivers. You can use the Brigadier app to obtain these. See the first post of this thread for information and some additional direction:

Windows Update works fine and will offer to install drivers for certain hardware, though I did need to update my graphics card drivers separately by downloading them from AMD. (Windows Update insisted that it could install a newer driver, but the driver offered by Windows Update was actually much older than the version I downloaded from AMD.)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Windows UEFI will mess the bootrom with certificates you cant delete.

Legacy / bios / is ok. Never select EFI without OpenCore protection.

in case you should have a bootrom backup to be prepared. Its the only way (aside reconstruction) to get the certificates away.

google Dosdude Romtool (password is rom). For the tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.