Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I am wanting to instal OS 13 on a USB SSD, and it stops in the middle and after a while the Mac reboots on to the internal SSD.

I can see there are usual folders/files installed on the USB SSD but if I select it for a reboot, I get a message with - The operation couldn’t be completed. (SDErrorDomain error 108.). Searching the error on the internet did not help me either. But I do suspect that it has to do with the installation not being completed properly.

Now I tested and installed OS 14 on the disk. No problem whatsoever it just does it. I can boot the Mac from the USB SSD and use it as expected. I did this to make sure ports, cables, formatting of the USB SSD and the USB SSD itself are in order. They must be is my conclusion.

Next, I tested installing OS 12 on the USB SSD, and this too fails in the same way as the OS 13 install.

I also made a copy of the instal files on an external USB SSD in order to use that and boot into them from recovery mode to install the OS. Same results.

FYI.
All the instal-applications (12-13-14) are fresh downloads from the Apple site. And my Mac can run all 3 of them.
I have a M1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) presently running OS12.7.

I can find nothing on the internet that describes this kind of a problem. Any tips?

Thanks.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
FYI the plot thickens.

I just tested installing OS12 on the same USB SSD from an Intel MBP and it works in one go.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Apple Silicon Macs must be connected to the Internet during OS installation. It fails otherwise.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
OK folks I got it to work.

What I did is the following. I erased and formatted the disk on an Intel Mac. Installed OS 12 on the disk from the Intel Mac.

Next connected it to a M1 Mac and upgraded the OS to OS 13. Worked. After that I could install fresh OS 12, 13, 14 on the disk.

Ask me not why it worked I have no idea, but it did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.