Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Tonight Apple had an update for more cameras or something, now I cant adjust one image without it crashing???:mad::confused:

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Yikes! Anyone else having the same problem out there? I haven't seen the hue and cry but there may be others. Are you using Aperture 1.5 or 2? Any other changes (drives connected, etc.) or other updates installed at the same time? I didn't do an exhaustive search, but I don't see this issue getting any discussion over at the Aperture Users Professional Network site http://www.apertureprofessional.com/ and I would expect to see folks freaking out there if it was a general upgrade issue. I have Aperture 1.5 but haven't installed the upgrade yet and generally use LR, so I don't have any direct feedback.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Yeah, 2.0.1 and did the 'add more camera support' update last night.

Now it just will not work.

Is there a plist or something I can delete?

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
A few more questions that may help folks help you - what type of Mac are you using (didn't see it in your profile) and is the OS otherwise up-to-date? Anything else connected to your machine like external drives? Are your photos on the external drives? If so, are the drive(s) still showing up on the desktop as mounting? When exactly does it crash? When opening the program? Once you try and import something? Open a file? Export? Now to ask the annoying IT dept question - did you shut down the machine and restart it again since the install?

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Thanks,

I have about a year old MBP with Leopard and all the latest updates, the only external drive is connected to the Airport Extreme but wasnt using it.

Yes restarted machine.

It crashes 30-60 seconds after opening, no matter what Im doing. Usually trying to adjust image. But lucky if I can even find the image.

When I deleted the last imported set of pics, it worked for a little while. Then imported them again, and now it crashes.

I can always use CaptureNX, but I dont like it.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I don't have any leads other than to think that there's just some good old fashion corruption in there somewhere and it's time to do a new install of the program. Thoughts from others?

Are your photos saved into folder rather than the Aperture library so that you can easily uninstall Aperture and reinstall and try the update again? If in the Aperture Library, I suppose that you could simply copy that to another location prior to uninstalling Aperture. In any event, make sure the photos are backed up somewhere. Others may have better suggestions on this point related to Aperture as well.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thanks,

I have about a year old MBP with Leopard and all the latest updates, the only external drive is connected to the Airport Extreme but wasnt using it.

Yes restarted machine.

It crashes 30-60 seconds after opening, no matter what Im doing. Usually trying to adjust image. But lucky if I can even find the image.

When I deleted the last imported set of pics, it worked for a little while. Then imported them again, and now it crashes.

I can always use CaptureNX, but I dont like it.

ibaliz,

did you run repair permissions with disk utility or onyx. always recommended with updates and installs. I'd try that.

there should be a plist file in the prefs as well. copy and save it to your desktop just in case, but then delete from the prefs folder. then relaunch AP.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
ibaliz,

did you run repair permissions with disk utility or onyx. always recommended with updates and installs. I'd try that.

there should be a plist file in the prefs as well. copy and save it to your desktop just in case, but then delete from the prefs folder. then relaunch AP.

Yes I did run disk utility.

I'll try that, but any chance of screwing up anything?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Yes I did run disk utility.

I'll try that, but any chance of screwing up anything?

no. just make sure you have the right plist file and the app is closed. it will say aperture in it.

AP will just create a new one when you launch the program again.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya

Wait, so it crashes when you open it with your 'last imported photos' in the library, then it works fine when you delete the last import, then when you re-import those same photos it crashes again?

Sounds like a corrupted PHOTO file, not Aperture file. Which all this plist/repair permissions/etc. isn't going to touch.

Try importing the pics one-by-one and seeing which one crashes Aperture. Do they all (the last import I mean) display normally in e.g. Preview?

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Wait, so it crashes when you open it with your 'last imported photos' in the library, then it works fine when you delete the last import, then when you re-import those same photos it crashes again?

Sounds like a corrupted PHOTO file, not Aperture file. Which all this plist/repair permissions/etc. isn't going to touch.

Try importing the pics one-by-one and seeing which one crashes Aperture. Do they all (the last import I mean) display normally in e.g. Preview?

Could be, so now if I can just get it to run long enough to delete it again.:(

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
sound like a corrupted header or a corrupted library, tats why you should keep regular backups of such databases

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.