Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Specs

- Have MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
- New SSD

What Happened

Went to an authorized Apple retailer to install an SSD.

They migrated my information from the old hard drive and it seemed to work pretty fast, but would lag a bit.
I've been meaning to restore my Mac, so I restored the Mac, reformatted the hard drive and did a fresh install of Lion (Internet recovery) and then upgraded to Seirra (10.12.5).

I enabled trim(via terminal) and checked that it is enabled in System Information.

Problem
My Mac is freezing every few seconds, even typing this, it froze at times.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Issue is the HDD cable. High failure rate on your model. There's a silent repair program for them with Apple. Go to an Apple Store/AASP and they'll replace the HDD cable free of charge.

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
they checked the cable (since I've been there more than once for the burnt cable) and said it was fine...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
they checked the cable (since I've been there more than once for the burnt cable) and said it was fine...

Unlikely to be anything else if it's lagging with an SSD & fresh OS install. Apple's diagnostic software has rarely been held in high esteem.

Best explain what's happening and take it back. I'd be extremely surprised if a new cable didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: just to confirm, you have tried a PRAM & SMC reset? If not, definitely do that.

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Unlikely to be anything else if it's lagging with an SSD & fresh OS install. Apple's diagnostic software has rarely been held in high esteem.

Best explain what's happening and take it back. I'd be extremely surprised if a new cable didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: just to confirm, you have tried a PRAM & SMC reset? If not, definitely do that.

Did, not. Will do, I'll update thanks

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
If you just made the change, it may need a few days to re-index everything.

Resetting PRAM and SMC doesnt seem to have helped, my Mac has frozen 5 times typing this sentence.

@jerryk I've reformatted my Mac a few times before and have never anything like this.
[doublepost=1496856898][/doublepost]Edit: Do want to add that my Mac does seem to be running faster after PRAM and SMC (the computer didn't freeze while trying this sentence.).

*My Mac is still slow, just faster than before

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have done fresh installs to a mid-2010, late 2011, and mid-2012. None of these 13" Macbook pros never experienced a slow down, during or after installation.

What is the link speed?

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Seems to have been an external hard drive that was plugged in. Mac was indexing it

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Days? I have never seen a computer take more than an hour or so to Spotlight index an SSD

People are reporting longer times with Sierra. Also waiting a few days ensure hours of up time since machines go to sleep (or are put to sleep).

bbtanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Wanted to thank everyone for their help. Replaced the HDD cable, solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.