Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I have an '09 5,1 (flashed) MP running OS 8.5 with a dodgy Bluetooth module so I purchased a USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle on Amazon. The system must be seeing it because when it is inserted I am unable to turn off Bluetooth in the system preferences. Neither my Apple wireless keyboard nor my Magic Trackpad will pair. Also, I am unable to delete these devices so my first thought of deleting and adding again is not doable. The dongle brand is Zhishan and the description clearly states it will work with Mac, linux and Windows. It came with a small disk which does not, as far as I can tell, have Mac drivers so I assume it was meant to work with OS drivers. I'm trying to get answers from the seller but so far no luck. Not a big loss at around 17 bucks but, with the older BT dongle I have that never worked, I am starting a collection it seems. Does anyone know which, if any, OS versions have drivers for these things built in? Maybe none I'm thinking, as the devices would probably be considered bridges (?) and perhaps that's why they require proprietary drivers.

Do I need to uninstall or disconnect the built in BT? Is there a generic driver out there that will work with the device? Will upgrading the OS make it work? Thanks for any help.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA

Thanks for link. Looks a bit daunting. This is a method for using an iMac combo card. I was not aware of continuity and handoff and that airdrop needs specific hardware support. The dongle I bought has Broadcom chips, so that's a plus. This one might be out of my comfort zone. I started out checking iFixit site BTW and found something not directly related but of interest to Mac tinkerers:

http://newyork.repair.org/#tellstory

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.