Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Ok, so you need X11 installed to be able to install GIMP but when I try to install X11, it says I cant because newer softaware already exists on my computer. I am running Tiger. Anyone istalled GIMP on a new Imac successfully?

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Have you looked to see if X11 is already installed? It'd be in /Applications/Utilities.

Its not. I cantinstall GIMP because it says i need X11 and I cant install X11 because when I try to do that, it says I already have newer software installed and it wont let me install. Frustrating.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Ok, so you need X11 installed to be able to install GIMP but when I try to install X11, it says I cant because newer softaware already exists on my computer. I am running Tiger. Anyone istalled GIMP on a new Imac successfully?

Which version of X11 are you trying to install? If you've downloaded it from apple, it's the Panther version, which won't install on Tiger. If that's the case, you'll find X11 among the optional installs on your Tiger DVD

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
GIMP 2.4 is all bundled.

Just download and drag to your applications folder. When you double click on GIMP it will just open X11 and the GIMP.

No need to configure FINK or do any of that other crap. It's nice what they have done with it.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks but neither of those ideas work. When I put in my OS X install disc, it tells me I need disc 2 to complete downloading apps, I dont have a disc 2, just disc 1.

When I double click to install GIMP 2.4, it says X11 is not installed. This sucks. Why are things so damn hard to install on Macs. I may take this back and go back to PC, pain in the ass.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Why are things so damn hard to install on Macs. I may take this back and go back to PC, pain in the ass.

Things are usually trivially easy to install on the Mac. X11 is a case in point - Apple provides it; it's part of the "optional installs" package, and installation is just a matter of clicking a couple buttons and checking off one box. Something's rather odd when you say you don't have a disc 2 - a new iMac should've come with everything on a single DVD. Your system sounds rather messed up - something else is going on here.

But hey, feel free to go back to PC. We all know how easy and trouble-free those are.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I have 2 discs in this "Everything Else" pack. One is an install disc for the macbook and one is for my imac. When I load it, there is no "optional installs" on this disc. I have 3 read files, one file that says "Install bundled software only" that tells me I need a disc 2 to start installing anything. A file that says Install Mac OS X and bundled software and then a folder labeled "Xcode Tools". Out of all the millions of mac's sold, I get the one missing X11 and the optional installs disc eh?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
X11 is available as a download from Apple - here I think there are some updates you can download after, or maybe software update'll install them one X11 is installed.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Which version of X11 are you trying to install? If you've downloaded it from apple, it's the Panther version, which won't install on Tiger. If that's the case, you'll find X11 among the optional installs on your Tiger DVD

sorry just re-read this post, ignore my post...

filmamigo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto
GIMP 2.4 is all bundled.

Just download and drag to your applications folder. When you double click on GIMP it will just open X11 and the GIMP.

No need to configure FINK or do any of that other crap. It's nice what they have done with it.

Just curious where you can download the 2.4 bundle?

The GIMP.ORG page points you to GIMP.APP, and the newest version they have is 2.4RC3. Worse, it's for Intel only. I need PowerPC.

Any suggestions?

Is there any easy way to compile 2.4 from source? Or do I have to wait on GIMP.APP?

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
nevermind, I got it. Just had to scroll down on my install disc. I am the gimp! doh!

ev464

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Springfield, OR
Still need help.

I really thought that this thread would get me there. No luck. I have installed the xcode tools from the disc, now what?

Got IT!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Is there any easy way to compile 2.4 from source? Or do I have to wait on GIMP.APP?

I have found MacPorts to be the simplest (I was finding too many issues / old software versions with Fink).

Assuming you have the developer tools installed, it is quite simple:

1. Follow the instructions to get MacPorts installed
2. In the terminal type "sudo port install gimp"
3. Go have a drink. Or a few. It will be a while.

When 2.4 was released I did a "sudo port upgrade gimp" and it went very smoothly.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
GIMP problems

Sorry to bring up an old GIMP thread, but I just downloaded the GIMP and it won't open. X11 "opens" in that it says the program is running in the dock, but nothing appears, and the GIMP does not even appear in the dock and won't open any windows. Any advice?

I'm running a 1.5 GHz G4 with 2 GB of RAM, using OS 10.4.11.

Thanks.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sorry to bring up an old GIMP thread, but I just downloaded the GIMP and it won't open. X11 "opens" in that it says the program is running in the dock, but nothing appears, and the GIMP does not even appear in the dock and won't open any windows. Any advice?

I'm running a 1.5 GHz G4 with 2 GB of RAM, using OS 10.4.11.

Thanks.

I've seen this before if you have upgraded X11 in the past (most likely; Apple supplied updates count).

Try renaming your .xinitrc file so it isn't recognized, and launch X11 again. That has fixed it for me in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.