Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I bought a refurbished M1 Mac Mini from Apple direct a few months ago. I had trouble upgrading to MacOS Venura; the MacOS updater did not get along well with my internet connection. So I used Jeff Benjamin's handy YouTube "How to create a macOS Ventura bootable USB installer" video and downloaded the MacOS Ventura installer that way, putting it on a thumb drive.

Problem: I have my Mac Mini paired with a Logitech keyboard and an Apple Magic Trackpad. How do I make my Mac Mini boot from the thumb drive when my Logitech keyboard has no power button / fingerprint ID button?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I don't have a Mini but is it not press and hold the power button on the Mini like every other Silicon Mac?
Let go the power button when "Options" appears and wait.

Reactions: chabig and Wingsley

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
System Preferences > Startup Disk

OS-X-Yosemite-System-Preferences-Startup-Disk-Mac-screenshot-001.png

• Angry
Reactions: Ben J. and Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I don't have a Mini but is it not press and hold the power button on the Mini like every other Silicon Mac?
Let go the power button when "Options" appears and wait.

At what point during startup do I hold down on the Power button to trigger the Options prompt?

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
You push the power button to turn it on, and continue holding it down until you see the startup options.

It's all described here.
I tried that repeatedly today. I could not get it to work. If I held down on the power button continuously, it would not boot up.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you hold the power button down for 30 seconds and nothing happens, you've turned the Mac off - not on. Release the power button, then press and hold it to turn it back ON and you'll get the boot menus.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I tried that repeatedly today. I could not get it to work. If I held down on the power button continuously, it would not boot up.
You have to start the process of booting from a bootable Installer by turning the Mac OFF completely. Then Press and Hold the power button until "loading startup option" (or similar) appears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.