Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AskMeAboutEveryThing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2024
I'm new to Mac Pro, got the top model trash can and upgraded with 1 TB Aura SSD without reading too much about the possible complications. It's supposed to become a triple boot machine with 1) Mac OS 10.14, 2) the newest Mac OS at any given time (Sonoma right now) by using Open Core Legacy Patcher, and 3) a bootcamp Win 10. I got to partitioning the two Mac OS partitions and had to clone Mojave on to the smallest partition, as I couldn't install. I hoped I could the install Monterey on the other and run OCLP, but even after resetting NVRAM and checking, that I have Boot ROM Version 481.[..], I can't install onto it. I also can't update this Mojave clone to Monterey. What should I do now and in the long run?

I crashed another thread where I was advised to not run Mojave and OCLP Sonoma on two partitions of the same disk. Will try contacting OWC about the install issue, but the disk was bought second hand, so I won't get my hope too high on that help. It's a bit tough to sell a disk, that doesn't really support the machine, it was sold for.

Reactions: pischu12

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
I'm new to Mac Pro, got the top model trash can and upgraded with 1 TB Aura SSD without reading too much about the possible complications. It's supposed to become a triple boot machine with 1) Mac OS 10.14, 2) the newest Mac OS at any given time (Sonoma right now) by using Open Core Legacy Patcher, and 3) a bootcamp Win 10. I got to partitioning the two Mac OS partitions and had to clone Mojave on to the smallest partition, as I couldn't install. I hoped I could the install Monterey on the other and run OCLP, but even after resetting NVRAM and checking, that I have Boot ROM Version 481.[..], I can't install onto it. I also can't update this Mojave clone to Monterey. What should I do now and in the long run?

I crashed another thread where I was advised to not run Mojave and OCLP Sonoma on two partitions of the same disk. Will try contacting OWC about the install issue, but the disk was bought second hand, so I won't get my hope too high on that help. It's a bit tough to sell a disk, that doesn't really support the machine, it was sold for.
Just as an option please do consider other faster more affordable pathways. Although I am a huge fan OWC - it does not mean they have the best price.... Like the following; The price of this item fluctuates however for some patience 1T = 85$ & 2T 150-160 .....

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 1.26.39 PM.png

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Just as an option please do consider other faster more affordable pathways. Although I am a huge fan OWC - it does not mean they have the best price.... Like the following; The price of this item fluctuates however for some patience 1T = 85$ & 2T 150-160 .....

View attachment 2383926

So I've also just bought a Mac Pro 2013 and I too am interested in upgrading the SSD to enable dual booting.

Just wondered how good / reliable these Fanxiang SSD's are with the MP 6.1?

Also, would an SSD with heatsink be a better option for the MP 6.1 due to the known thermal issues on that model?

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
So I've also just bought a Mac Pro 2013 and I too am interested in upgrading the SSD to enable dual booting.

Also, would an SSD with heatsink be a better option for the MP 6.1 due to the known thermal issues on that model?
using 2 of them one in 6,1 and one in a 5,1

both are working, i don't know anything heavy but they work just fine

Reactions: Rendell001

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020

Hi :) Have had 3 of them in three different 6.1. (s) & they work amazing ( as Fast as the port > 1350 read write ) and no issues . It’s been 5 months and all well ……

Reactions: Rendell001

Rendell001

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Scotland
Hi :) Have had 3 of them in three different 6.1. (s) & they work amazing ( as Fast as the port > 1350 read write ) and no issues . It’s been 5 months and all well ……
That's encouraging, I've not used the brand before and wanted to get an idea of their reputation first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.