Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwsionn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
My computer:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I am trying to install Windows XP Professional x64 SP3. I am specifically trying to install XP to run some legacy games - no other versions of Windows will do for what I need.

I created a FAT32 (32GB) partition and have a Windows XP install disk. I have been able to start the XP Setup process, but never actually start Windows to install the OS. I keep reaching a blue screen error related to ACPI compliance (obviously since this is a MacBook it doesn’t naturally have ACPI tables that line up with what XP is looking for).

I have tried the recommended workaround of pressing F7 to turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup, but it does not seem to be doing anything. Am I missing something? Would appreciate any tips you all may have, thanks!

mwsionn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
I’d install it as a Virtual Machine instead, far easier and will run absolutely fine.

So to be clear, the games I am most interested in running are Mechwarrior 4 and MechCommander 2. Not cutting edge graphics, but not chump change either. Will running XP as a virtual machine mean I have to watch out for performance issues while running games, or am I just being paranoid? Back in the day recommended RAM for Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance was a puny 128 MB so...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So to be clear, the games I am most interested in running are Mechwarrior 4 and MechCommander 2. Not cutting edge graphics, but not chump change either. Will running XP as a virtual machine mean I have to watch out for performance issues while running games, or am I just being paranoid? Back in the day recommended RAM for Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance was a puny 128 MB so...

I’d say it would be fine. Can’t be 100% sure but no harm in trying.

Download the trial of Parallels: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/trial/

Install XP as a VM.

Then download/install MW4: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries-3ak

I’d be surprised if it doesn’t work, but if it doesn’t then you’re not out of pocket, just a bit of time.

mwsionn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
Will try that once I'm home from work. Thank you keysofanxiety!

I've also been seeing some stuff online about VMware Workstation Player as a free alternative to Parallels/paid VMware. Is it purely about preference or are there significant advantages to the paid Parallels/VMware that I'm missing?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Instead of fooling with Parallels or VMWare, try the free VirtualBox instead. It should have no problem running an XP VM for you. The reason your Mid 2012 MacBook Pro won't install XP is that the minimum version of Windows it supports is Windows 7.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am trying to install Windows XP Professional x64 SP3. I am specifically trying to install XP to run some legacy games - no other versions of Windows will do for what I need.
You'll almost certainly be much better off using XP 32-bit rather than x64.

mwsionn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2018
You'll almost certainly be much better off using XP 32-bit rather than x64.
Yeah if things go sideways with VM I'll try x32 next, there are a few pretty cheap licenses floating around out there. I initially went with x64 because I wanted to do a straight dual boot, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards this time around. Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah if things go sideways with VM I'll try x32 next, there are a few pretty cheap licenses floating around out there. I initially went with x64 because I wanted to do a straight dual boot, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards this time around. Thanks!
There weren't any Boot Camp drivers for Windows XP x64, and in general XP x64 was not well supported so it wouldn't surprise me if you run into compatibility issues with whichever apps you're trying to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.