Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Perhaps this is old knowledge for some of you, but it is new to me. I figure I could pass it along to everyone here.

By entering the following string in the URL bar of whatever browser you use, you can render the tab/window as a basic, barebones text editor:

Code:
data:text/html,<html contenteditable>

I’m not sure what kind of utility any of you might make of it, but I find it seems to work well, even on my clamshell iBook running TFF. I tested it as well in Leopard WebKit, so this appears to be browser-agnostic.

And yes, you can save whatever you type as a plain text file.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Works in Vivaldi on Mojave as well…nice. That might be useful in one of my workflow's. Thanks!

Vivaldi.png

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Perhaps this is old knowledge for some of you, but it is new to me. I figure I could pass it along to everyone here.

By entering the following string in the URL bar of whatever browser you use, you can render the tab/window as a basic, barebones text editor:

Code:

I’m not sure what kind of utility any of you might make of it, but I find it seems to work well, even on my clamshell iBook running TFF. I tested it as well in Leopard WebKit, so this appears to be browser-agnostic.

And yes, you can save whatever you type as a plain text file.
Wow, great!
It's even possible to ad pictures!
picture.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What advantages do you guys see of using this over TextEdit?
As a confessed lazy person this means that if I am searching for stuff on the net when writing all I have to do is copy/paste from one browser tab to another. When I'm done I can save a text file. While I can keep TextEdit (or usually Word) up and switch between apps, this is one less app to keep open. Hell, if I detach the tab into it's own window it's right there on a second monitor and I don't switch apps at all.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So here's a thing…Microsoft Word will interpret the HTML with the proper formatting. So, save as an html file and either open direct or give it a .doc extension and open. Works either way.

This is perfect as I don't have to apply the formatting myself, it just translates.

I've made the 'url' a bookmark so I can call it any time.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Hey that’s cool but I’d worry about losing data accidentally by fat fingering the tab. Auto save functionality has saved my butt more than once. In the fervor of creation is when something utterly stupid happens like your cat jumps on your keyboard and closes out your browser instance or some other unforeseeable horsecrap.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey that’s cool but I’d worry about losing data accidentally by fat fingering the tab. Auto save functionality has saved my butt more than once. In the fervor of creation is when something utterly stupid happens like your cat jumps on your keyboard and closes out your browser instance or some other unforeseeable horsecrap.
For me, this would be something that is intended to be quick and transitory. If I am actually engaged in writing something up, I'm going to be pasting directly into Word (or InDesign). Despite my happiness that I can essentially write out a file that Word will read my formatting on, underneath is all the HTML garbage that Word is interpreting. Files like this are going to be selectively copied and pasted into my actual documents.

All this to say that should my cat jump on my keyboard or my fingers press a wrong button I'm not going to be too worried about it. The cat on the other hand should himself be worried - about me! He's been trained not to be on tables, counters, desks or any other surfaces that are not specifically designed for humans to sit on or in. :)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
For me, this would be something that is intended to be quick and transitory. If I am actually engaged in writing something up, I'm going to be pasting directly into Word (or InDesign). Despite my happiness that I can essentially write out a file that Word will read my formatting on, underneath is all the HTML garbage that Word is interpreting. Files like this are going to be selectively copied and pasted into my actual documents.

All this to say that should my cat jump on my keyboard or my fingers press a wrong button I'm not going to be too worried about it. The cat on the other hand should himself be worried - about me! He's been trained not to be on tables, counters, desks or any other surfaces that are not specifically designed for humans to sit on or in. :)
Yanno if it could be figured out how to fold an auto save script into that, I would absolutely use it. I love the efficiency of it all. As far as productivity suites, the only one I’m really married to is excel anyway. A free to use browser based basic text editor is really cool IMO. I think about all the students and young people out there that could utilize this. Heck what about a computer science type teacher in grade/mid school could make this lesson one and instruct their entire school years assignments be written in it and could lead to other lessons like the small script movement (or whatever it’s called) code design efficiency etc.

I think the practicality of it is absolutely fantastic.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Here's a darker take on instant notes... Bookmark this in Leopard Webkit Bookmarks Bar (for Cmd-1 shortcut), Hide the Toolbar, Enter FullScreen (via megazoomer) for instant distraction-free note taking.

Code:
data:text/html,%3Chtml%20contenteditable%20style%3D%22font-family%3AMenlo%2CMonaco%2Cmonospace%3Bfont-size%3A1rem%3Bbackground%3A%23111%20linear-gradient%280deg%2C%23333844%2C%231a1d24%29%3Bcolor%3A%23def%3Bpadding%3A1vh%3Bborder%3A15vw%20solid%20%231a1d24%3Bborder-top-width%3A0%3Bborder-bottom-width%3A0%3Bline-height%3A1.5rem%3Bword-break%3Abreak-word%3Bmax-width%3A70vw%3Bbackground-attachment%3Afixed%3Bmin-height%3A98vh%3B%22%3E%3Chead%3E%3Ctitle%3EDarkNote%3C%2Ftitle%3E%3C%2Fhead%3EMy%20notes...

Picture 1 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 3.30.23 AM.png

(Requires Leopard WebKit or TenFourFox - might be fine on TenFourKit?)

Last edited:

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
Here's a darker take on instant notes... Bookmark this in Leopard Webkit Bookmarks Bar (for Cmd-1 shortcut), Hide the Toolbar, Enter FullScreen (via megazoomer) for instant distraction-free note taking.

Code:
data:text/html,%3Chtml%20contenteditable%20style%3D%22font-family%3AMenlo%2CMonaco%2Cmonospace%3Bfont-size%3A1rem%3Bbackground%3A%23111%20linear-gradient%280deg%2C%23333844%2C%231a1d24%29%3Bcolor%3A%23def%3Bpadding%3A1vh%3Bborder%3A15vw%20solid%20%231a1d24%3Bborder-top-width%3A0%3Bborder-bottom-width%3A0%3Bline-height%3A1.5rem%3Bword-break%3Abreak-word%3Bmax-width%3A70vw%3Bbackground-attachment%3Afixed%3Bmin-height%3A98vh%3B%22%3E%3Chead%3E%3Ctitle%3EDarkNote%3C%2Ftitle%3E%3C%2Fhead%3EMy%20notes...

View attachment 1679452

View attachment 1679411

(Requires Leopard WebKit or TenFourFox - might be fine on TenFourKit?)
Nice!

I made the gradient uniform (the banding was hurting my eyes, esp when viewed via Remote Desktop) and swapped font priority (for Monaco, which is my preferred), to get this variant:

Code:
data:text/html,%3Chtml contenteditable style%3D"font-family%3AMonaco%2Cmonospace%2CMenlo%3Bfont-size%3A1rem%3Bbackground%3A%23111 linear-gradient(0deg%2C%23333844%2C%23333844)%3Bcolor%3A%23def%3Bpadding%3A1vh%3Bborder%3A15vw solid %231a1d24%3Bborder-top-width%3A0%3Bborder-bottom-width%3A0%3Bline-height%3A1.5rem%3Bword-break%3Abreak-word%3Bmax-width%3A70vw%3Bbackground-attachment%3Afixed%3Bmin-height%3A98vh%3B"%3E%3Chead%3E%3Ctitle%3EDarkNote%3C%2Ftitle%3E%3C%2Fhead%3E

EDIT: In TenFourKit, the text renders as near-white, per the call-out, but the background is default-white.

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
As a confessed lazy person this means that if I am searching for stuff on the net when writing all I have to do is copy/paste from one browser tab to another. When I'm done I can save a text file. While I can keep TextEdit (or usually Word) up and switch between apps, this is one less app to keep open. Hell, if I detach the tab into it's own window it's right there on a second monitor and I don't switch apps at all.
This. Also, Textedit quits if you press the red close button similar to the function of most Windows apps. Normally I would prefer that behavior for say FireFox or any other app I use. However with textedit I find I constantly am relaunching it from launchpad because it closes itself if I exit the file.

AshleyPomeroy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
England
Code:

That's surprisingly neat. It reminds me of those 1970s TV typewriters that could show text on a standard TV, except that this is more useful.

Imagine if there was a way to transmit text electronically over the internet, so that other people could read it. Or any arbitrary digital data, including pictures. If everybody had text-to-speech on their computer talk radio would be obsolete. Obviously it would be impossible to transmit video because the bandwidth requirements would be far too large, but perhaps tiny little animated pictures of baby elephants falling over, who knows.

One thing I've never liked about TextEdit is that it makes you create a new document before you can write anything, whereas Notepad pops open a new window instantly. In theory it's a trivial difference, but much of my writing comes from spontaneous eruptions of thought that appear in my mind only briefly and I don't like the extra step of clicking "new document".

I mean, if someone makes a mistake on the internet I often pop open Notepad and write out a lengthy, accurate rebuttal and then delete it, whereas with TextEdit I have to commit myself, and I don't like that.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Imagine if there was a way to transmit text electronically over the internet, so that other people could read it. Or any arbitrary digital data, including pictures. If everybody had text-to-speech on their computer talk radio would be obsolete. Obviously it would be impossible to transmit video because the bandwidth requirements would be far too large, but perhaps tiny little animated pictures of baby elephants falling over, who knows.

Excuse me, but can't you do all that over the internet? What am I missing here?

One thing I've never liked about TextEdit is that it makes you create a new document before you can write anything

Which is why I use Notes or Sublime Text for spontaneous writing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.