Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
I've seen things here and there about insurance for expensive electronic equipment. I just bought a 20d and $400 dollar tamron lense and I want to be able to use my equipment uninhibited. Does anyone know much about whats available for insurance on this type of equipment. I am not a homeowner if that matters.

Any info would be great.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You should have renter's insurance to cover your belongings, and it should be covered under that. You'd have to check the terms of your policy, as you may have to declare particularly valuable equipment, which might affect your premium.

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
Recommend you call your carrier. There are oftentimes carve-outs for specific items (jewlery and camera equip in particular).

Some base amount of coverage may exist, but if you have a significant amount of certain categories of items, you will likely need a separate rider. You may have to demonstrate ownership (to obtain the rider) via receipts or appraisals (esp true in the case of jewlery).

Also, I have heard stories whereby certain insurance carriers have given photographers a hard time after equip has been stolen...suggest you check-out some photography-focused boards to get opinions re: such coverage and their experience.

Good luck,
Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.