Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I was wondering, now that we've lost Iris Pro as the baseline integrated graphics, how does the performance stack up on day to day usage for the new MacBook Pro 15" with Touch Bar using only integrated graphics Intel HD Graphics 530? I'm not talking about heavy graphics/video editing. Just transition heavy action items like Mission Control and other graphics transitions in Sierra.

Are we expecting to see any loss in performance if I we are only using integrated graphics? If not, how easily does the dedicated GPU kick in? Are we likely to see any battery drains for simple apps like Twitter (read some article that said so).

A good place to compare could be the Mid 2012 Retina MBP with Intel HD Graphics 4000 - did it perform decently on iGPU?

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I was wondering, now that we've lost Iris Pro as the baseline integrated graphics, how does the performance stack up on day to day usage for the new MacBook Pro 15" with Touch Bar using only integrated graphics Intel HD Graphics 530? I'm not talking about heavy graphics/video editing. Just transition heavy action items like Mission Control and other graphics transitions in Sierra.

Are we expecting to see any loss in performance if I we are only using integrated graphics? If not, how easily does the dedicated GPU kick in? Are we likely to see any battery drains for simple apps like Twitter (read some article that said so).

A good place to compare could be the Mid 2012 Retina MBP with Intel HD Graphics 4000 - did it perform decently on iGPU?

What do yall think of the current iGPU's performance from it's departure from Iris Pro in the Late 2013 to Mid 2015 models?

Reactions: nitschi

GastonM

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Netherlands, Europe
Now that some people already received the new 15-inch MacBook Pro (still have to wait for probably a long time here in the EU...), any experiences with the Intel HD 530? How does it handle general UI animations, such as Mission Control, scrolling in Safari, switching Spaces, etc.?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Now that some people already received the new 15-inch MacBook Pro (still have to wait for probably a long time here in the EU...), any experiences with the Intel HD 530? How does it handle general UI animations, such as Mission Control, scrolling in Safari, switching Spaces, etc.?

I just have the 13" no TB version right now, but it is the first MacBook sans the 15" with dGPU that does not have animation lag with the retina displays.

My guess would be the new iGPU's are finally capable of handling the retina displays.

Tmargo101

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Got my 15" MBP 2 days ago, and honestly... It's not great. The 530 is really struggling with basic UI movement. Actually very disappointed. On the flip side though, the 460 is great. Worse battery life by far though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.