Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wjk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2016
First time poster and I apologize if this has been answered.

With Apple moving all Mac devices to ARM architecture, does anyone understand or have a sense of what the future may hold for Intel-based Mac software? I am an architect and use a variety of software suites (Autodesk, Adobe, Trimble, etc.).

If software companies are being forced by Apple to rebuild their products for ARM, how long will Intel based software for Mac continue to receive updates? This is clearly a difficult question, but I wonder if anyone has insight from prior experience from PowerPC to Intel transition (if that is a relevant comparison to the current change). I am envisioning a scenario where 90% of the Mac-software development team is now working on ARM, and the group left to continue updates on Intel-based Mac software is gradually phased out.

I am trying to evaluate whether it is worthwhile to use a MacBook Pro 16 for 3-4 years before having to adopt Windows platforms (due to software like Revit). This has appeared to be a smart path, however, if software development for Intel-based Macs starts collapsing in 18-24 months, it will change that option significantly.

Thank you all in advance!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I wouldn’t expect any problems with companies dropping support for at least five to seven years. Based on prior transitions.

Reactions: chabig

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The macOS APIs for application developers are not platform specific and the data formats (e.g. floating point) are the same and all 64-bit based. Applications are then built as Universal apps with both ARM and Intel included in the one application bundle. So it is relatively easy for developers to deliver ARM and Intel without having to run parallel development.

Compared with the PowerPC to Intel transition, this one should be smoother and can have longer overlap.

So, I am optimistic that developers can (and probably will) provide Intel alongside ARM for many years. I don't expect developers to stop supporting Intel for many years (certainly not 18-24 months). This is particularly true for the enterprise/professional apps (Autodesk, Adobe, etc.).

And remember the hardware transition has not even started yet for those using professional level Macs.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
There's over 100 million Intel Macs actively being used so it doesn't make business sense for software vendors to exclude those customers / potential-customers.

The time to be worried will be when Apple themselves ship the final release of macOS that supports Intel architecture.

Reactions: justin0712

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"With Apple moving all Mac devices to ARM architecture, does anyone understand or have a sense of what the future may hold for Intel-based Mac software?"

Short term prognosis:
It will continue to work, for a while.

Long term prognosis:
Grim ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.