Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hey all. Once I get my tax return and I see that it's enough I want to get a new (or "new", depending on a few things) 2015 Retina MacBook Pro 15". I'm not too concerned about when the Skylake models come out. I don't have a laptop really at the moment besides my brother's 2007 Core 2 Duo GMA 950 equipped 13" MacBook (I had the model newer than that.. a Santa Rosa that died on me fully in 2013 or so).

If my tax return is amazing I might pull the trigger and get a 15" model with Iris Pro for $1999, or maybe the same model refurbished for $1699. Either would be fine with me. My only question about the Iris Pro only 15" models is this: Is the Iris Pro's 1.5 GB of VRAM shared with the system RAM like all other Intel GPUs, or is it its own dedicated Intel GPU? I think I know the answer, but I just want to get my facts straight. I know that with the Iris series of GPUs Intel has gotten closer to true dedicated GPU performance. I'd graduate up to the Iris Pro/Radeon configuration for $2109 or w/e it is... but I'm not really a gamer or content creator to that extent. Would I benefit from the 2 GB of additional GPU power?

My "workflow" mainly consists of web/email/some light-ish video editing from when I go on my trips each year, some 1080p video watching and maybe some light gaming ala Tomb Raider (2013) or Starcraft II.

Would the Iris Pro only model suit me well for what I do on a daily basis? I have actual game consoles and a really good desktop to use if I want to game seriously.

Oh and before anyone steps in and says "Why not get a MacBook Air for your uses?" I want this machine to last me at least 4-6 years as my SR MacBook (Rest in Peace old buddy) did.

Thanks in advance,
ShiggyMiyamoto

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't comment about the games, but I think the Iris Pro will handle the other tasks you throw at it. I'm not a gamer (at least on the mac), so I can't say how good or poor those games will perform.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The Iris Pro graphics do use system ram, they also have a 128gb eDRAM cache that significantly boosts performance. As long as you aren't expecting high settings or more than 1080p resolution it should run most games ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.