Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VietlOtUs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Hello,

I am interesting in picking up photography as a hobby. Will be getting a Canon Xsi soon. I am just a novice. I have been using PC all my life. Would like to switch to Mac to see how it is.

Before I make a commitment, I would like to do some research and that's why I am here. For those Mac owners, what would you recommend? I will be using the laptop for words (homework), surfing the net, watch movies, go online (AIM), and picture editing (photography).

I am deciding between a MacBook 13.3 2.4 mhz and a MacBook Pro 2.4 mhz 15".

I would like to wait for the update but if it comes too late, I'll make a decision before the Mac + ipod + printer offer is over.

Thanks.

wmw71190

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
If money is an issue (at all), and you aren't ever planning on playing games on your mac, definitely the Macbook itself is fine for graphics/photography. I design every day with Photoshop CS3, and I haven't had any speed problems, graphics problems, or any other problems at all with my Macbook. I went with the middle version (not the lowest Macbook, and not the Black one). If you want the big screen, or the better gfx card for games, go with the Pro. If not, the normal Macbook is a lot smaller and a lot cuter :D:p

VietlOtUs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
The middle MacBook is the 2.4mhz with 15" right?

The rumors about the refresh makes me want to wait. :rolleyes:;)

I won't be playing games on it if at all. My bf says I'll need a new computer (better screen/color etc) for photography last month, he really jiinx me. I was using a Sony (4 years old) laptop.

I am so excited. :eek:

osin

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
New Jersey
Macbook's update is expected after iPod promotion is over, so you shouldn't delay your excitment and buy the laptop now...

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I am deciding between a MacBook 13.3 2.4 mhz and a MacBook Pro 2.4 mhz 15".

I would like to wait for the update but if it comes too late, I'll make a decision before the Mac + ipod + printer offer is over.

Thanks.

I find with editing that larger is better screen-wise, so I'd advise you to go with the MacBook Pro, since the extra screen real-estate will be useful for editing.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
The macbook is adequate for your needs but for one exception - it often chokes up due to insufficient RAM. If you can upgrade the ram, then go for the macbook and possibly a cheap external monitor, otherwise work in Aperture will be unbearably slow.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
.... I will be using the laptop for.....and picture editing (photography). I am deciding between a MacBook 13.3 2.4 mhz and a MacBook Pro 2.4 mhz 15".

If you have the $$$ go for the MBP with the anti-glare screen. Not only do you want the larger screen but for photography you want a color accurate screen. Movies, games and so on look brighter and have more contrast on the glossy screen but for photos you don't want that exaggerated contrast, you want accurate.

For software, iPhoto will do most of what you want. After that get Adobe Photoshop Elements. You can upgrade at some future point to Aperture and Photoshop CS3 without loosing anything. No reason to buy those now.

If you do have a budget get the Macbook and a third party LCD monitor. Actually you might be better off using the bigger LCD over the MBP. The ssmall glossy screen is unsuited to serious photography.

Think about your overall budget. What matters most is the set of lenses. (You are getting a lens with that Canon body aren't you? You didn't say.) The lens(es) matter the most and that is where you should spend you money. Buying $3,500 worth of of camera body, computer and software and them spending only $100 on a lens is a gross miss-allocation of funds. Think about spending at least 1/2 the budget on lenses. But don't buy them right away, set the money aside and go shopping only after shooing at least a few thousand frames.

When to buy? The advice is always "If you need a computer now, buy a computer now. If you don't need a computer now don't buy one."

VietlOtUs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Thank you!

To answer ChrisA's question, yes, I am getting a set of lenses with the Canon: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. That comes with the combo. You're right and I do plan to shoot a lot before I start investing in lenses. I do want a bigger LCD screen for pictures.

I have photoshop CS on my current PC, can I use that on the Mac ? Do I need some special program to run it on the Mac or do I have to purchase a PS program for the Mac?

I got excited for a second this morning thinking I can make use of the Tax Free week but too bad that doesn't apply on electronics. :(

I am holding off until the week of Sept. 8 to buy though.

wmw71190

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Thank you!

To answer ChrisA's question, yes, I am getting a set of lenses with the Canon: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. That comes with the combo. You're right and I do plan to shoot a lot before I start investing in lenses. I do want a bigger LCD screen for pictures.

I have photoshop CS on my current PC, can I use that on the Mac ? Do I need some special program to run it on the Mac or do I have to purchase a PS program for the Mac?

I got excited for a second this morning thinking I can make use of the Tax Free week but too bad that doesn't apply on electronics. :(

I would definitely invest in the Mac version of PS. It runs REALLY smoothly and you can tell Adobe spent more time creating the version for the mac if you try one next to the other. If you don't want to spend the money on CS3, pm me, I can get you some "discounts". :)

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Thank you!

Really go for the biggest screen you can - even if these means buying an external monitor and plugging it in to a laptop.

The lens you mention isn't very good, I would seriously consider buying the body on it's own and a quality lens.

Unfortunately you will have to repurchase Photoshop as it won't work on the Mac (unless you want to install Windows on the mac), but I would HIGHLY recommend you buy either Lightroom 2 or Aperture 2. These two programs are designed for the photographer, their workflow and photo manipulation. However if you plan on doing serious photo-manipulation - i.e. selections, filters then photoshop will be the way to go - although I suggest you get this in addition to Lightroom 2 or Aperture 2.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Definitely go for the bigger screen. 15 inches is still sort of small. When it comes to editing photos, you want a large screen with accurate colors. If you have to get the macbook, I'd say buy a 3rd party external display to do your editing on; there are large ones available for great prices now!

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Oh yeah, and absolutely consider spending a decent amount on a good lens. Your pictures are only as good as the glass you shoot them through!!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Any MacBook you buy now will be fine for running Aperture as long as you have the RAM. Mine is a 2Ghz model with 3GB of RAM as the limit, anything you get will work better than mine and I'm happy with the way my Macbook runs Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.