Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
I was just playing with some MBP configs and pricing in the EDU store, and I noticed monthly installments were quoted much higher than they should be.

It turns out that, at least online, Apple is applying the Airpods credit to the Mac, NOT the AirPods, which results in the full price of the AirPods being financed with AppleCard. Because they only finance AirPods for 6 months, it ends up making the first 6 payments significantly higher than if they credited the AirPods and you only financed the Mac.

7818DFB8-E88D-46C0-9362-E3374E870E41.jpeg

You end up paying the same amount either way, and frontloading payments like this means the last 6 months end up being much lower, but I thought it was an...interesting way to do it.

Last edited:

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
That's very good to know - I am thinking of leveraging Apple Card to finance a Mac.

So with the EDU discount, plus free Airpods and 3% Apple cash back = good deal!

Reactions: ChrisBos

ChrisBos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
That's very good to know - I am thinking of leveraging Apple Card to finance a Mac.

So with the EDU discount, plus free Airpods and 3% Apple cash back = good deal!

Glad it was helpful! I ended up doing just that, and can confirm the transaction does process this way.

I was back and forth on opening an Apple Card vs. a CC with a better intro offer (I was already in the market for a new card regardless) but opted to go the Apple route.

With the current welcome bonus, you'll also save another $49 if you open it this month and buy a $0.99 app or iCloud storage upgrade with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.